Monday, April 28, 2008

Rain and gloom

I'm really not unhappy that it is raining. I transplanted some lilies last night and they need moisture. It is just that the house is so dark this morning and it is cold, 39 degrees.

My friend J-MT asked about the Thangles. They are papers that you sew through to make the half square triangle squares.
They are similar to the little plastic Easy Angle. The advantage is that you can cut one size strip for both the pieced squares and plain squares for a block. Usually you add 1/2" for the quarter inch seam allowances for a regular seam, but for a diagonal seam you need to add 7/8". Because these triangles are lined up with an offset, forming a blunt edge on one end and pointed on the other you only need the 1/2". The ones I am using are for 2" finished squares so the strip is cut 2.5". You can tear the paper off these easily if you use 1.5 for your stitch length and place your thumbnail of your left hand right on the seamline at the center, the tear quickly from the top point toward your thumbnail. This rips the main part off and then you pick off the seam allowance section.
Here is the block I completed last night.
And here are the 9 completed blocks. I need a lot more variety before it becomes a quilt. I need to make some blue/purple/red blocks and some yellow/green/blue blocks for sure.
Today is my mother's evaluation after 2 weeks of the whirlpool treatments for her legs. I hope they are healed enough for the next type of treatment, which they said they will come to her apartment to do.

9 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

I used Thangles once in a class, for my 2nd quilt, but it was only for the HST's and I didn't realize it would be the same width as for a plain square. Thanks for sharing that.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a good report for your mother.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Half square triangles have to be a quilter's most versatile 'piece' and I really like what you are doing with them. Nice blocks.

Prayers for your mother.

Paula said...

All your blocks are really looking nice! It will be a lovely quilt when finished.

Joyce said...

The blocks are looking great! I'm sure the finished quilt will be fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Wanda...THANK YOU for the supreme lesson. As you know I am a 'green horn' when it comes to all the quilting terms. I had conjured a completely different thought as to what a Thangle was. (*._,*) I did not know there was such a great 'kit' out there to help that much. Certainly is inspiring and I want to give it a try. I know I will not be able to achieve the brilliance you have with your blocks they absolutely sparkle.

Thinking good thoughts and prayers for your mom and you.

J~MT

The Calico Cat said...

I am a thangler too. I find them to be the quickest & most accurate method. (I cut my strips a bit wider than the directions call for & still this method is quickest.)

Elaine Adair said...

Your triangles and the colors are just amazing. I wonder if I made those exact colors if I would think MINE were amazing - hmmmm - something about CONFIDENCE - a good lesson.

I am wishing a good evaluation for your Mom.

Pattie said...

Thanks for the info on Thangles. I'm just learning about triangle paper and all those other helpful tools, so it's good to know what's available.

I'm loving those blocks, Wanda. It's going to be a gorgeous creation!

Best wishes for your Mom…

Anonymous said...

this quilt speaks to me, it's gorgeous, the ,more colors you add the better it looks
never tried the thangles, can't find them overhere