Thursday, April 17, 2008

One of these.........

.......is not like the others. Sorry for the poor photography this morning. I was standing on a chair to get high enough and still cut the tops off. The 2 squares I made a few days ago were in the basement and I sewed 2 more last night. I was too lazy to go down and get them and see which way the pinwheel was spinning in the first 2. After I had sewn one last night I went downstairs during a commercial and got the other 2 blocks. Just like I thought, I had spun the pinwheel in the wrong direction in block 3 (bottom right). I pieced the last block like the first 2. So now that I have my humility block out of the way, I don't have to wonder when it will pop up, LOL.

If you aren't sure what I am talking about, look at the position of the darkest fabric in the center pinwheels. 3 are alike and 1 is different. And you know the funny part is, now the top left block in a photo is different than looking with the naked eye. It is hard to tell which fabric is the darker.

16 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Just call it 'Tornado' -- the pinwheels will spin both ways then! The colors are so vibrant, love them.

The Calico Cat said...

On this kind of quilt (As opposed to a just pinwheels quilt) I don't think that the direction of the spin matters.

& The way I "see" them, you have 2 going 1 way & 2 going the other... (Take a look at the catycorners)

Mary Ann Littlejohn said...

Call it a "humility" block and keep on going.

Cathi said...

It's gorgeous, humility block or not. When the quilt is all together, I doubt many people would even notice it -- what they'll see is a fabulously colourful quilt. I absolutely love how you use colour!

Sequana said...

lower right is different....but i most worry about you getting up on a chair to take the pics...

can't you put them on the floor and just look down on them?

i need to pick up a quilt again - i spent the last two days making an apron.......*S*

Anonymous said...

I love those triangle blocks(thangles) with the COLORS spinning into a wonderful explosion of beauty! The ladies above have made good comments.

Is it a quilting no,no to make more blocks and alternate each block? Then "Tornado" would be a perfect name for it. (*._,*)

J~MT

Rebel said...

I'm starting to work on a pinwheel quilt and it just today occurred to me to think about which way they were turning... that I couldn't just match them up willy-nilly!

I don't think the direction matters since there are outer borders in these blocks. So you're fine. I'm loving it though... so vibrant.

Rebel said...

And calico cat makes a good point - the upper left block kinda looks like it could be spinning in the other direction - depending on which color you call dark. Make a few blocks of each and call it good!

meggie said...

It is just lovely. Dont change a thing!

Elsie Montgomery said...

Internet connection problems for 2-3 days and I missed you! Thank you for such a bright post. It made my frustrating few days much more cheerful. I agree that the spin isn't vital. Since when were you a matchy-matchy person! (smile)

I've pictures to post, but with dropping connections here, and blogger today telling me the post photo department is down for repairs, I'm waiting...

Smiling at your reds and golds and ...

Joyce said...

I'd just make a bunch of each kind and say you did it on purpose for variety.

jacquie said...

Wouldn't change a thing...this is truly exuberant color. Love it!

MJMR said...

I believe the way my eyes read the blocks, you have 2 going one-way and 2 going the other way. Oh, I do like your colors.

TB said...

Humility block. I like that! I think it belongs, too!

Ahava Hopps Brooke said...

Yum. Half square triangles. My kind of thing!

Michael5000 said...

I've done that! My solution was to change the overall design so that half the blocks could rotate one way, half the other.