Thursday, April 10, 2008

More "On the Surface"

This is my favorite piece that I did when "On the Surface" book came out. There was a quilt in the book with a lot of white background and I really liked it. I had some left over squares from another project and decided to use them to try to achieve the look of the one in the book. This one is 22" x 26". I did many layers of stitching, probably about 8 hours of stitching, then washed it and then added the roses on the corners.
Then I stitched over the roses but with only one color thread instead of the variety of colors everywhere else.
I washed it again after the roses were added. With all of this stitching it doesn't lay really flat.
Some steam pressing helps, but this amount of stitching will definitely distort a little.
A couple close up pictures of the stitching. I had been saving all of the "almost gone" spools of thread in a bag and used all of them first. Then I had to get into my regular supply of thread.
All of this stitching is done with the feed dogs up and a regular presser foot, forward and back stitch, over and over and over.........
This last one is a little table mat that I used to try the procedure.

9 comments:

Paula said...

This really is a great idea, for something different. Maybe I'll try it soon. Too many projects going on right now....it looks great!

jovaliquilts said...

I like these. The last one looks more contemporary, which is what I associate with all that stitching, but the stitching works wonderfully on the first one, which is much more traditional looking. I wouldn't have guessed that.

Elaine Adair said...

When I grow up (uh hemmmm), I want to be YOU.

You clever girl you. 8-)

jacquie said...

This is spectacular. You said you can do this without a walking foot...maybe I could do this on my machine. Worth a try on something small.

Vicki W said...

Very cool!!

meggie said...

So many different ideas.

TB said...

It's interesting that this quilt is like looking at the quilt through a screen. It's quite interesting.

Purple Pam said...

These two quilts are great. They should hang in an art show. They are definitely art show quality. Are you going to keep these, or sell them? I want to do some threadwork with some of the beautiful threads I have collected. I need to take a class from an experienced teacher. Are you willing to travel to CA for a class?

Diane said...

You know I'm nuts about this technique! The nine patch looks fabulous. The stitching makes it look old, like the crackled paint on weathered wood.