Friday, April 11, 2008

I am quilting

I start quilting, have 7 or 8 rows done, and say to myself, "I don't like this". Decision time, tear it out or continue? Since this is just a little piece, not show quality, does it make any difference? I have a quality standard. I am not a fanatic or a perfectionist, just a quality standard. Unfortunately I go through this same thought process on so many pieces. I decide early into the piece that I don't like the quilting. What I have to remember though is that I usually am happy with the results when I finish it. It is too easy to question your choice of quilting pattern when it isn't all over the quilt. Of course there is a chance you won't like the quilting when it is all done, and then, do you tear it out, or leave it?

Here is the full picture of this one before quilting. The jury is still out. I will probably finish it while I watch TV tonight.

8 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

I go through stages with every project, but I'm a much less experienced quilter than you. From the photo, this quilting is really neat! Looks like glittery rain!

Anonymous said...

I like this look,keep going.Wig.

Elsie Montgomery said...

I thought the same thing... this looks like a tropical rain. I'd even forgotten that you had zebra fabrics in the borders.

If you are like me, I tend to want the quilting to be angular in curvy designs and curvy in angular designs, but I don't think that is a rule. Even if it is, breaking the rules is creative! I wouldn't tear it out!

jacquie said...

I wouldn't tear it out either, though I go through the very same thoughts about quilting a piece.

meggie said...

I like it, & hope you didn't take it out.
How lucky you are to be able to quilt while watching tv. I suggested moving my machine out into our lounge & was met with growls. I had it there when Gom was still working, so he didn't seem to care then!
Retirement changes so much!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I go through the yea-nay process while piecing ... thankfully, with Chris on call, I don't have to agonize over the quilting or I would NEVER finish anything. I almost always love the results when I finish and have never been disappointed when Chris finishes, but I doubt SO much along the way...

I really like what you're doing with this one (long distance allows perspective that our own emotional/close-range situation doesn't).

If I tried to quilt while doing anything else, there would be such a mess... :-)

imquilternity said...

I like what you've shown us and hope you haven't torn it out! I always have these thoughts too, until I'm finished and can see my entire piece done. Sometimes, I still don't like it, but more often I do.

Pattie said...

Oh, don't tear it out - it looks great!

I'm a fairly new quilter and I'll get a top pieced and finished and love how it looks - until I start quilting it! I have been known to cry over that process! But I know the only way to get better is to keep doing it, right? Oy!


PS - If you get a chance, visit my blog and cast your vote... :-)