Friday, April 18, 2008

Friends

You will have to click on this picture and enlarge it to see the friends in the foreground. There is a squirrel, a cardinal and 4 starlings all eating together. The squirrels usually chase the birds away and the starlings aren't usually that friendly with other birds. They are eating the residue that fell from the bird feeder cage above them. With the sun pouring through the trees it was a wonderful scene. We finally have spring here. It was in the high 60's and calm yesterday. I didn't get a chance to go out and rake the flower beds though. I had another session of the "design as you go" quilt class in the morning, and while eating a late lunch the physical therapist for my mother called to see if we could come at 2 instead of 4 for her whirlpool treatment. I didn't get home until 3:30 from that and then I remembered I had computer club at 7 so I really didn't want to change into my grubbies and then change again. I also had to go pick up supper for my parents because we had planned that when the appt. was supposed to be at 4 and they were really planning on it.

Today I need to start cutting and edge finishing 175 squares of white PFD fabric for some elementary school art sessions that I will be doing next Wed. and Thurs. They will be drawing on the fabric with crayons so I need to iron freezer paper onto the back of each 11" square. I did this project last year and we ordered special fabric crayons but they were so greasy and messy that I decided to have them use regular crayons this year. There was an article in Quilter's Newsletter in June, 2003 about this. Have any of you readers used crayons on fabric and have any tips for me?

Friends, my title today, refers to all of you readers too. It is so wonderful to get the feedback through your comments about my posts. Doing a blog entry every day is kind of like writing a column for a newspaper. You really never know how many people read it or what they think about what you wrote. With the newspaper you might have to wait for the letters to the editor for any feedback where with the blog, within a few hours helpful feedback is there. Most of us are a little isolated by the fact that our neighbors don't understand why we are making another quilt where you readers all understand it (and want me to make more). Thank you a million times.

13 comments:

Terry said...

Our guild has done several colorbook block quilts. We just use regular crayons (crayola brand is the favorite) on regular fabric. It is not PFD fabric. After it is colored we heat set it with a hot iron. The fabric is sandwiched between two sheets of paper towels. Then ironed until no more color comes off onto the paper towels. You can change out the paper towels as needed while ironing. After this we usually do some embroidery work on the lines. It is permanent and washable. I love this technique and it is an old one. It was done many many years back. Good luck, Terry

Anonymous said...

Wonderful nature scene, Wanda.
hope you can get out a little bit
today. jmh

Sequana said...

and thank YOU for all the good tips and the eye candy that you provide for us.....*S*

wish i could help about the crayons, but i have no experience there.....

Elaine Adair said...

I read ALL your posts but I liked the last paragraph today, best!

THank YOU for all your inspiration, frequent posts, and gorgeous colors!

Anonymous said...

Preparing 175 squares is work to me! But I know the children are anxiously awaiting your arrival for a fun creative session. They are a very fortunate group to have you for their teacher. I too have used regular Crayola brand crayons for artwork on fabric, same method as "Terry".

As one of your followers I enjoy reading what others contribute to your comment blog. And feel like we are all friendly acquaintances because of "EXUBERANT COLOR". THANK YOU back. You are so inspiring on a daily basis, no matter what is going on in your life you take time for us, and is greatly appreciated.

J~MT

Cathi said...

What a fantastic picture!

I love reading your blog -- your use of colour is absolutely inspiring.

jovaliquilts said...

It's so nice to feel you appreciate us, but it can't be as much as we appreciate you -- I have learned so much from your blog, plus it's just beautiful to look at.

A woman in our guild teaches people to make crayon quilts, and besides ironing and ironing until all the excess color is removed (as terry said), she also recommends using firm pressure on the crayon to get enough color on the fabric.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Comments are wonderful ~ like tiny fragments of validation... I know there are lots of us out there who pop in and out of our favorite blogs, reading but often not leaving a note... other days, we have the time (and/or energy) to share our thoughts.

Never fear ~ we DO appreciate you.

TB said...

You're welcome, I love leaving comments on your blog. Right now, I hear birds signing in my back yard. It's nice to have them back again, regaling us with their songs. On the other hand, with nice weather comes the mosquito. Last evening I was outside and unfortunately saw one. They sure don't waste any time getting their populations up. So much for that! Happy Spring!

Anonymous said...

Crayola crayons work great, and you can put colored inks on top of the ironed crayon colors, if you want more shading. I use the Tsukineko fabric inks on top of the crayon wax, and they blend much more easily than by themselves.

Thank you for your daily blog. You bring singing color into our lives.

MJMR said...

Another route to go would be to use Crayola Fabric Crayons. Have students draw their pictures on paper, cut the size of the blocks of fabric you will be using. The trick is to have students draw/write in reverse, words especially. Then the drawing is placed drawing side down to the right side of the fabric and pressed. This transfers picture to fabric and makes it permanent. I have used this technique with school children in many of the art classes I taught. (I am a retired art teacher) Just be sure not to move paper until picture is towardly transfered to fabric. The kids love this.

Nancy said...

I usually don't comment, but wanted to say I really enjoy your blog. I appreciate that you write every day. I love that you present a very art oriented approach to your quilting, in a very non-threatening way for the average person. As I believe you've said before, we're all very creative as children, but through random comments from others, we LEARN to put that creativity away, and do things "as they're supposed to be done", ie, following the rules. Thank you for reminding and encouraging us to break the rules and play again.

Lynda said...

Looking forward to seeing some of the children's efforts - they are so uninhibited, they put we adults to shame.
On the quilting, my husband still hasn't got his head round it. I keep trying to find an analogy (ie. football, fishing, trainspotting) but he still doen't get it! Thanks for all the bloggers, readers and members of my various quilting groups for keeping me sane!