Saturday, April 12, 2008

It's OK now

Putting the binding on always makes it look better. You would think after 51 years of making quilts that I wouldn't judge the piece until it is done. The quilting is far from perfect but I am happy with this piece. It is 20" x 22.5". I used the smoky monofilament in the black and white fabric borders because I thought either black or white would be too distracting. The flash makes it show up in these pictures.

The picture below is the back of this little quilt. The fabric is from the late 1980's when the larger prints were just becoming popular in quilts. I have a lot of them to use up in the backs of quilts.
We are freezing again this weekend, after being warm a week ago. It is only 37 degrees this morning and is supposed to go down to 29 degrees tonight and 41 degrees tomorrow. That is OK though because we have the quilt festival at Rosemont near Chicago this weekend. We won't be sidetracked by gardening.

7 comments:

Joan J said...

I just want to leave a comment that says "Thank You". Every time I come to your blog, I learn something new - about color combinations, border possibilities, using up threads, etc. You've opened my eyes to so many possibilities! Thanks!!!

Sequana said...

Another great quilt by you. *S*

It's up to 38° here now - heat wave. Have fun at the show. I wish I could have made my way there. Maybe next time.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Another beauty. I agree with Joan, you are a great mentor to many and I'm blessed by your terrific attitude as well.

thank you!

meggie said...

The back is very interesting too!! It has turned out very nicely, the quilting is perfect.

Joyce said...

I love it and you are right, you never know until it's done. By then it's too late to change it anyway.

Lynda said...

That's the problem with machine quilting - once you've started, you're committed. It's so hard to take out, and the fabric suffers if you do. Luckily, the quilting on this beauty is great. The lines add movement and extra colour themes to the quilt. Lovely!

jovaliquilts said...

Nice quilt, and I like the bold back, too. I was at the quilt show yesterday -- never occurred to me that you might be there, too! I had such a good time, but wish I could have gone for two days.