Thursday, April 3, 2008

Christmas in April

My sister in law gave me a cutting from the family Christmas cactus quite a few years ago. She said to put it outside in the summer and bring it in before the first frost. We talked about temperature and darkness and fertilizing. One of the first summers I put it out on my porch either a cat or squirrel decided to chew/break some of it and it took all winter just to recover. The following year when it was outside, there was a freak hail storm that cut a path through town. It totally damaged my roof, which was replaced that fall. The poor little cactus in a pot had hail piled up around the plant. I rescued it and again it took all winter to recover. One of the years it had a couple blossoms, and I think it was in March. More years went by with the plant finally gaining a little size but no flowers. This picture is from last year and it had 4 flowers. This year it has 4 buds, still very small but I am confident that they will bloom in April again, just like last year. I think it needs repotting this year. My friend Louise potted hers in Miracle Grow potting soil and it was just full of blossoms. I'm going to try for more than 4 flowers one of these years.


13 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

I have a friend whose Christmas cactus has a zillion flowers every January. I loved hers so much she gave me one -- and mine never bloomed! I'm not much of a gardener, obviously.

Anonymous said...

My "christmas" cactus blooms at Thanksgiving and at Easter........then during the summer, I put it outside in the warm Michigan sun and it grows lots of new leaves.
Linda in Lansing

Karen said...

My Christmas Cactus thrives in spite of the neglect and I keep mine as a house plant. My theory is that since they are succulents and are used to living in the desert, their normal state is dry. Then when the winter rains come, or I remember to water them they bloom. I have seen them covered in blooms but mine just seem to flower off and on. ANd it does have some blossoms now, I guess I remembered to water it recently.

Anonymous said...

HI Wanda,

My Christmas cactus is getting ready to bloom again, and I was going to repot to a bigger container. I will wait until it does it's thing. I also think the rusty tin pot that I have it in plus the Miracle Gro helped. I truly neglect this cactus and will again put it outside in the indirect sun this summer. I bought this in '99 at christmas.
Louise

Elsie Montgomery said...

Not to worry - these plants seem to have their own agenda. I have one this same color. I can never predict when it will bloom. It is covered in blooms right now, but not a bud during January. We have dry air in Alberta, but I leave it in the sunroom at the front of the house, but not in direct sun. It likes a shot of fertilizer in the spring, and not too much water... only when it is quite dry. I've not a green thumb though and no instinct for gardening or plants. I try to follow what the garden books say! Yikes, what a failure I'd be without books!

That pink/green/dash of white with some gray-green and beige could be a nice combo for a quilt! Any plans?

Anonymous said...

What an interesting post today, I have enjoyed reading all of the above and as always learn from your blog. Your photo of pink blossoms are beautiful and your story amazing of a 'tough' plant that knows how to survive. And you are an excellent caregiver, from parents to plants.

J~MT

Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda,Enjoyed all the coments about our
Christmas Cactus. Mine is still blooming and
it is April.It appears to be winding down. Great
photo! jmh

jacquie said...

If it were alive in my house that would be a feat...4 flowers would be a miracle. I can't grow a thing indoors. I think yours is lovely.

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

How strange mine is the same colour and in bloom now as well...

meggie said...

I had wonderful Christmas Cactuses in NZ. Over here, -not such luck. I had 2 flower beautifully last year, but I would say more by good luck than good management!

Sue said...

My 'Christmas' cactus blooms around Halloween each year. I don't do anything special to it, just water when I think of it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TB said...

My Mother's is blooming profusely too! You must be doing something right to have such gorgeous blooms.