Monday, April 21, 2008

Finally in bloom

The Christmas cactus is finally in bloom. One of the buds is gone, disappeared. There were 3 large buds and one teeny tiny one, which is still teeny tiny. Then I noticed that 2 were getting bigger and almost ready to bloom. Then the third big bud is just gone. I didn't find it on the floor, or anywhere for that matter. I will just be thankful that I have 2 beautiful blooms.I filled 2 more huge lawn and leaf bags with leaves and twigs yesterday and now I can watch the plants growing from the kitchen window. The hostas are about 2" high now. I saw the beginning of a Jack in the Pulpit when I was out there yesterday. The red penstemon and hardy geraniums are there as well. With our strange (and long) winter I think I lost a few plants. All of the sedum plants are doing well. I'll go out and check on more this afternoon since they grow pretty fast once they are uncovered.

I think we were in a contest with the northwest US for who could have snow the latest, but thankfully they won. Several blogs showed pictures of hail and snow last week.

8 comments:

Elsie Montgomery said...

Up here, no contest. We had spring and then on Friday it started to snow. I am posting photos on my blog, and glad I don't have to go anywhere today!

Pattie said...

Ahhh, the blooms on that Christmas cactus were well worth waiting for!

Anonymous said...

The glorious colors from nature is hard to beat. Just breath taking.

J~MT

Anonymous said...

szwwidfHi Wanda, Congratulations on your
cactus blooms. The buds drop very easily
if the plant is moved.TTYL.jmh

Sharon said...

Yeah, we're still getting some snow spitting here in Washington. Nothing is sticking, but it's cold and dreary. Getting tired of it now. Congrats on the cactus bloom! How very pretty and cheery!

Candy Schultz said...

Oh Wanda, bite your tongue. We have had snow here in July. You know you may have jinxed the midwest. You are not that far away from me.

Gina said...

It could be an Easter cactus - same plant just a different flowering time. I've got both and one or the other has been in flower since December. The trick is neglect.

love and hugs xxxx

TB said...

Jack in the Pulpit grows around the D.C. area, but it is not easy to run across one. I know of one wooded park where some were growing, and was so delighted to have discovered them. Spring is a most wonderful time.