Friday, October 28, 2022

Some more of those 23 photos..........


Somehow yesterday I missed that I had 3 close up photos of the On Point 16 Patch quilt.  My quilts are all about the variety of fabric used in each one.  There are some very early Kaffe fabrics in this one.








Even though this quilt is red to me there really are a lot of other colors in it.  Mostly red, orange and yellow but since most of the prints are multicolor, a lot of other colors show up too.








This one really shows off the binding fabric.  Click on the photo twice for the largest view.







This little chest was made by my great-grandfather for either my mother or my grandmother so it is over 100 years old.  I was doing a quick hand off of it to my daughter-in-law and didn't get a chance to wipe the dust off.  I wanted a photo before it left because I have owned it all of my life.  I refinished it back in the 1970s.


Yesterday it made a 6.5 hour trip to my 3 year old great-granddaughter for her birthday.  She is checking it out here.

The dresser over by the window is one I gave to my granddaughter when she was having her first child 8.5 years ago.  I bought it somewhere around 1962 from the Sears catalog, unfinished ready to stain or paint.  It came fully assembled back in those days.  My husband added some mahogany trim to it and stained it walnut color.  52 years later it was painted gray to go with the nursery colors.  Just a little nostalgia there.


My big maple seemed to turn color overnight.  I decided I had better go out and take a photo before it dropped all of its leaves.  The sun was on the other side of the tree so it is backlit.








The leaves  are multicolor in some areas.







I love the dark bark contrasting with the colorful leaves.  This tree planted itself and is a fairly fast growing tree.












This photo was taken yesterday morning from the kitchen window with the bright sun hitting the leaves.  That is a bare Redbud tree in front of it.  

I spent the day studying the list of quilt tops and trying to decide what to finish next.  I also got the border fabrics out for 2 of my tops that I want finished before the end of the month.  I also tried to do some clean up on the table where I measure and cut my borders.  And then the day was over.

I have some more photos taken in the front garden that I'll show tomorrow.

9 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely quilt photos--what a beautiful finish on this one!!
Great that you could pass down that little chest to your great-granddaughter..
she must just love it!!
Our trees are finally turning a lot--almost overnight it seems. Brilliant yellows, oranges and some deep maroons--which I love...
Hugs, julierose

patty a. said...

There are so many beautiful fabrics in the on point 16 patch quilt. That little chest is precious! I hope there is a label on it outlining the history of the piece. It would be sad if that history was lost. I saw some of the most brilliant oranges on trees last night. The colors this year are fabulous.

Mary said...

I am very fond of old wooden pieces. I know your great granddaughter will love it. We don't have your glorious fall colors, but I am very happy to report that we have had .72 inches of rain this morning!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is neat to pass some of the furniture on that means something to family. I don't have large pieces anymore but small pieces that my father or grandfather made and the girls know which pieces they are and if they do not want them they know to pass them to cousins

JJM said...

Grand visual post today Wanda, plus your stories to go with them. So wonderful you still had your little dresser to pass onto your great grand daughter. Its a treasure for sure. Good to see the close ups of the fabrics… the prints are phenomenal ….. and the glow you captured of your golden yellow tree, is wonderful.

JJM

Linda Swanekamp said...

The trees are particularly lovely colors this year. A joy to watch the sun shine through them. I just finished cleaning up my bedroom set as it was removed and stored while my husband laid a wood floor in the bedroom. The set was his grandmother's and I just love it. I have a very plain cedar chest from my grandmother. That is all the vintage stuff I have. That grey dresser certainly looks 1962!

Vicki W said...

The quilt turned out great and I lvoe the little dresser. What a wonderful thing to pass down through the family.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Family pieces with stories are the best! I am glad you shared the close up photos … stunningly rich colors. And that tree (swoon)!

Mystic Quilter said...

Wonderful Autumn colour in the trees, I do wish we had more deciduous trees over here! Your mix of fabric colour and design shows beautifully in the close up, I think it's one of my favourites out of all your quilts!! Wonderful to still have the hundred year old chest and to be able to pass the care of it on to your great-granddaughter.