Thursday, October 20, 2022

Lots of red................


I pressed the strip sets from Tuesday and cut the strips for the blocks, then sewed the blocks.  Also I cut more strips and sewed 7 more strip sets which now need pressing before I can proceed.  I need 30 more strips for 15 more blocks to make a 64" x 80" quilt top.  I plan on turning the blocks to a horizontal position for this quilt.

Yesterday was grocery shopping day, 2 stops, so I didn't get around to picking thread for the next finish or cut borders for my last top.

I have given up trying to save the tomato plants.  When I removed the sheets the plants were wilted under them.  I think it got down to 26 degrees here.  I picked a big batch of the largest green tomatoes and hope that maybe the rest that are left on the plants will survive the 31 degrees tonight and ripen as we go into several days of 60s and 70s.  I read last night about ripening the green tomatoes with a banana.  I had to look up how green the banana should be.  It suggested a shoe box with a loose lid and a banana with just a little green left on it.  Put the tomatoes in a single layer not touching each other.  We'll see how many of them will ripen.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you haven't tried them fried green tomatoes are delightful.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

good luck on the tomatoes I have some ripening on my windowsill now I think 3 of them are about ready to use

Julierose said...

Best of luck with those green tomatoes--hopefully they will follow your new quilt and turn red for you;)))
Hugs, Julierose

patty a. said...

That certainly is a red quilt - I love it. I like the darker bits. It got down to 34 here. The ripening banana must give off Ethylene gas which would help the tomatoes - hopefully - ripen up.

JJM said...

Brilliant reds just warm my heart. SOooooo dazzling.

Green tomato chutney recipe is on line. My neighbor told me its delicious.

JJM

Quiltdivajulie said...

So many wonderful reds . . .

Anne Ibach said...

Oh yes! This warm set of fabrics is fantastic!

Penny Schine Gold said...

I have a very easy way of ripening green tomatoes--I just put them in a brown paper bag, fold/crunch the top, and check on them occasionally. Some will ripen sooner than others, so I sort through them every few days. Right now I'm at the stage where I've made so much spaghetti sauce to freeze that I don't need any more ripe ones, so I made a big batch of green enchilada sauce yesterday.

Cathy said...

I saw a video on You Tube where the guy did an “experiment” with unripened green tomatoes. He divided his green tomatoes into four groups: Group 1 went into a bowl on the counter. Group 2 went into a brown paper bag by themselves. Group 3 went into a brown paper bag with a banana, and Group 4 went into a brown paper bag with an apple. The winner (by several days) was Group 1. It’s not a scientific study, of course, but I have my green tomatoes out on a towel on the counter to ripen. I used to use newspaper, but that is virtually a thing of the past!

Vicki W said...

Just looking at these beautiful reds warms me up.