Sunday, October 16, 2022

Getting closer.............


I got both of my quilt tops sewn together and now I have to decide whether this one gets a border.  It is about 63" x 84" so it doesn't need it for size but maybe just to look more finished.








I'm definitely planning on a border for this one.  It is only 45" x 64".  I'm wondering if 4" wide by length of block pieces in an assortment of blues, greens and purples would look good rather than just one fabric. I have some thinking to do.

I got more columns sewn on the colorwash and have just 5 left to add.

In case you were wondering the frost didn't harm my tomato plants early yesterday morning. The way I can tell how cold it got is to look at my Coleus plants in their pots.  They totally collapse if touched by frost or if there is a freeze and they are still standing tall.  However tonight and tomorrow night it is supposed to go down to high 20s.  Next weekend 60s and maybe 70.  I don't know if I can keep the plants alive to enjoy the warmer weather and possible ripening of the green tomatoes.


 

9 comments:

Julierose said...

Two lovely quilts--the Log Cabin Stars are just beautiful and the Columns look so good together in those colors...you are really moving things along these days. Hopefully you can still get tomatoes to ripen...hugs, Julierose

Gail said...

The butterflies stand out so well in the first one. I had to enlarge the photo to see if they were appliqued. Plus I've never seen such a creative way of using log cabin blocks. Tks for the inspiration.

Unknown said...

I love both quilts, especially the unique layout of the log cabin. My personal opinion is that log cabin quilts do not generally have borders. Traditionally they would have been made with tiny/narrow scraps, frugally salvaged from a variety of sources. Those quilters likely would not have had the luxury of a large piece of fabric for a border. That being said, it is your quilt and is not the typical log cabin with the large scale prints really taking center stage. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and photos with the quilt fans of the world.

JJM said...

Two beautiful quilt tops ready for finishing, each one has a glow of their own. I know you will decide the perfect finishes for each one.

I received a photo of the first snow fall in Hayward, WS. yesterday. Winter is around the corner for most of us northerners.

JJM

Anonymous said...

I like the log cabin as is, border less, I would use a red binding as the finish to stop and send the eye back into the quilt. But who am I to question your great decisions??? :)

Karen H said...

I love both of those quilts you are working on. They are so pretty! I am wintering in Arizona this year, we arrived a month ago. Even though fall is my favorite season, so far, I haven't missed the fall weather back in Iowa.

Mary said...

Your log cabin quilt is as interesting close up as it is stunning from a distance!

Needled Mom said...

Both are spectacular! I love the log stars as is. Great layout. Down to the 20s is pretty chilly for plants! That would do mine in here.

Nann said...

Oh, WOW. The log cabin stars are awesome! Is that your own design?