Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Finally photographed.............


While it was raining I was working.  This quilt top got its final press and photograph.  It is my version of The Square Within from Karla Alexander's book Color Shuffle.  When I got the photo to the computer I see one block is turned wrong and it is going to stay.  The squares in light blocks are going one direction diagonally and the squares in the dark blocks going the other direction.  Also the squares make a circular pattern in each set of 4 blocks...except in one, but who cares, it barely shows.  The quilt top ended up at 53" x 74".

I also got the 2 pieces of backing pressed for the next finish.  I hope to sew the seam today and load it on the longarm.


The pattern called for 6 dark and 6 light fabrics which are both cut into 2 sizes of strips.  Instead I chose 12 of each and cut one size strip from one group of 6 and the other size strip from the other 6 fabrics.  When I got bored with that assortment of 24 fabrics I went to my large scraps of Kaffe collective fabric and cut more pieces.  I'm not sure how many different fabrics I ended up using but I like the assortment.


My Zinfin Doll hydrangea blooms have finally reached the raspberry color stage.  After it stops raining I might cut some of them for a bouquet to dry for the winter.



Here are some blocks from the new quick quilt I am making.  Anne at Agilejack blog has made 2 of them and I had to make at least one too.  Mainly my goal is to use up some of the 2.5" strips that I cut about 10 years ago, maybe longer.  






I wondered what they would look like turned the other way.  Maybe that will be the layout for quick quilt number two.

15 comments:

Julierose said...

Your Squares quilt is just gorgeous--that leafy green print square really seems to draw my eyes around..beautiful work!!
What a great way to use up 2.5" strips...both layouts look good!! Hugs Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I really like the reds in the first quilt it looks really bright and pretty - I don't think it will be noticed that there is a block turned the wrong way I didn't spot it- it isn't obvious for sure

Gene Black said...

I don't see the "wrong" block in the Square Within quilt. I doubt anyone will notice.

patty a. said...

I didn't see anything wrong with that top. It is beautiful! The raspberry hydrangea is so pretty!

Gail said...

Your first quilt is awesome. I enjoyed reading your thoughts along this quilt making journey.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your quilt top turned out beautifully (and I KNEW you couldn't use just six fabrics!). The hydrangeas are beautiful. And I love your color combos in the new quick quilt blocks.

JJM said...

FABULOUS ‘The Square Within’ ! Your creation has out done your inspiration piece over agaIn. Love it…. And I give up, you’ll have to circle the wrong way block, it does not show up on my screen.

Hydrangea is so pretty. And a bouquet will brighten any winter day.

JJM

Vicki W said...

Wow, that came together quickly! It's lovely!

Anne Ibach said...

I love your new red and yellow quilt. It makes me think of the Plaidish quilt that I keep ruminating on but can't seem to get started on it.

You should have that strip quilt done today if you apply yourself! They go together so quickly.

Florida Farm Girl said...

I'm thinking to use my batik collection for my version of the Square Within. I have more blues and greens and not so many reds like you have. We shall see.

Kristin said...

I love your new Square Within quilt! Pretty!

MissPat said...

I love the Square Within quilt. And like everyone else, I don't see the turned around block. The quilt is colorful and busy enough to hide it. We're due to get that rain tomorrow. Wind is rising right now.
Pat

Cathy said...

Your Square Within quilt top is gorgeous, Wanda. I love the variety and rich colors. Such a great quilt for autumn!

JJM said...

Just checking in agaIn before I turn off the lights tonight and I forgot to tell you I like the 2.5” strips quilt with the rectangles running vertical. .

Linda In UK said...

Gorgeous quilts. Love both the Squares and the 25” strip designs. And of course your fabrics are super.