Sunday, October 30, 2022

Random decisions............








When I finished piecing the log cabin stars I contemplated adding a border...but it was already 63" x 84".  Since most of the strips in the log cabin blocks are from the 1990s era I wanted to use the print at the right for a border since it is also from the 1990s.  Yesterday I decided that the print could be on the back.  I have a 68" piece and a 14" piece so I'll have to add a few inches of something from the same era to make one panel the length of the quilt.  I will need another piece 28" wide by the length to finish the back.  That sounds like a project for November.

I was reviewing my lists of quilt tops and finished quilts yesterday.  I have made 20 new quilt tops and finished 15 quilts so far this year.  6 of those finishes were new tops from this year so I only finished 9 of my older tops.  I wonder if all of those who preceded us that left quilt tops ever counted up or even worried about how many they had unfinished and left to be passed on to the next generation.

Occasionally I will buy a layer cake by a designer that I admire to see a good sampling of their designs.  This is a Jen Kingwell group.  The prints remind me of the fabrics I used to make my grandma's aprons and my mother's housedresses when I was in high school (1954-8).  I like a lot of Jen Kingwell's quilts which are pretty fussy piecing with small pieces but I won't probably ever make any of them.  I will instead choose a pattern that is fun and fast.  I might have to add some solids into the mix here to even make a small quilt.


This is the rest of the layer cake.  This is 2 rows of squares and each piece of fabric has 2 different prints.  That means that the pattern piece or cutting die needs to be less than 5".  I have made many quilts with the 30s reproduction fabrics so this will be similar to the feel of those.  I still have a selection of the 30s prints and maybe a few of them as well as a few plaid fabrics could be mixed in with these.

We have a week of 60s and maybe will hit 70 on Wednesday and Thursday.  10-14 day outlook is warmer than normal.  That will be a real change from our colder than normal October.

5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have a feeling the quilters from years before us didn't have the time to make so many tops and and not finish them. With the many conveniences we have more time I think to devote to quilting and spare time to do it in

Julierose said...

only 34 this morning when I got up!! A little frost on those pumpkins...
Love your array of JK's fabric line...Your Log Cabin Stars look so pretty--great work hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love that JK layer cake array of fabrics. I like the look of her designs (most) but will not be making any of them. Good plan for the log cabin stars project …

Mystic Quilter said...

I like the fabrics you have from Jen Kingwell, I have her latest book -Quilt Recipes - with two quilts in my future. Nice collection of her fabrics you've gone with.

Tami Von Zalez said...

I have run into more than one quilt project at thrift from mystery quilters. I am guessing those projects were stashed away, or forgotten. Then the family discovers them and they are donated. I add my own touch and finish those projects that have long awaited completion.