Thursday, October 6, 2022

Progress on two..............


I sewed the last 2 blocks for row two of the log cabin quilt and assembled the row.  I put it up on the design wall for a photo and then took down both rows and sewed them together.  I didn't want to hang it back up again so I took down the pieces for the bottom 2 rows and pinned block pieces together for later sewing.  I need to cut more light and dark squares before I can continue.


I took these blocks down one by one and measured each of them to see if I need to do some trimming.  There ended up being 3 blocks that are smaller than the rest.  I may make another block to replace one of them since I have the parts already assembled.  The other 2 I will probably have to let out a seam.  I may still trim them all by 1/4" just to straighten them a little.  

Outside I cut down about 20 Peony plants.  There are still 2 or 3 left to cut but they are behind a tomato plant so I'll get to them later.  I found a little more Poison Ivy under one Peony so I dug that out.  After that I picked up small branches that had been hidden under Peonies.  I have 2 Peony plants in front of the house that I just remembered.  I'll cut them today. 

9 comments:

patty a. said...

Both quilts are coming along! It will be good to get the trimming done. I need to mow.

Julierose said...

I really dislike having to trim up blocks--my lest favorite part of the quilting process--!! I really love the Star Log Cabins...so pretty and eye catching.
We have finally had the sun come out--YAY!! Those gray days were getting to us...
hugs, julierose

Marnie Haines said...

Oh, Wanda! You are doing it again. Two fabulous quilt tops are on their way to completion, each a beauty in its own way. Thanks for the inspiration as I head home to open up my quilt room after a too, long absence.

Donna T. said...

Hi Wanda, I just wanted you to know that you "made" me buy Karla Alexander's Color Shuffle book. haha Anyway, I love this quilt and will making it soon! I have a large stash and hopefully I can find a pleasing variety of prints to make it in teal/aqua and to-be-decided contrast fabrics. Thanks for your inspiration!

JJM said...

“Square within” has become one of your finest creations. Simply a happy quilt top.

‘Log Cabin blocks’ are so uniquely different from each other. Anxious to see how you combine and finish this one off.

JJM

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I have to say, your The Square Within is really pretty. I was not impressed with the pattern, but you with your wonderful color sense have turned it into something special! Always a joy to work you work!

cityquilter grace said...

wow that red/yellow is simply stunning! the blocks themselves did not wow me but all together...double wow!

audrey said...

Your fabrics are gorgeous on the Karla Alexander pattern! So rich looking. And I love log cabin quilts. Will always have a special place in my heart for those. Interesting that you don't trim the blocks before hanging them on the design wall. I never do either and then it's soooo hard to want to trim them instead of diving right into sewing the rows!!

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm playing catch up again! Your Karla Alexander quilt is a stunner, a beautiful mix of fabrics. I must have missed the start of your log cabin blocks love the classic definite light and dark in this one.