Thursday, October 27, 2022

I took 23 photos yesterday.............


6 of the photos were of this finished quilt but I narrowed it down to the best one.  I have made over 25 sixteen patch quilts and this is the only one with the blocks on point.  That was mainly because I would have had to make more blocks to have them in straight rows so on point made sense, adding the 2 beautiful florals as the setting triangles and corner triangles.



The fabric on the back is named Luscious and is a Philip Jacobs design.  The binding is Creased by Brandon Mably.  The fabrics in the top are all Kaffe Fassett collective.  This one finished at 56.5" x 80.5".  Quilting is straight lines vertically with pink/orange/gold variegated thread on top and rust Bottom Line thread in the bobbin.  Hobbs 80/20 batting.


I finished the rearranging of blocks on "the Other 16 Patch - Warm" (as compared to a 16 patch made with squares).  I debated if it should be called - Hot instead of - Warm.  It is 65" x 81" right now.  It will shrink a little with quilting.  It has one Martha Negley fabric and one of Kaffe's original stripes hand woven in India in the 1990s.  The rest of the fabrics are from the Kaffe collective.  I turned the blocks to horizontal in this quilt top, they are vertical in my cool color version (which I need to add a border to before I can show the quilt tops together).



This is what it looked like when I took the photo above, too big to put up the other direction.  I rotated the photo above in my photo editing program.




One of my Compact Burning Bushes is close to all red now.  The other 2 are still mostly green with just a little red showing.





I opened the shoeboxes yesterday morning, 6 days after placing the green tomatoes in with a banana with a little green on the ends.  I needed one of the bananas for my breakfast smoothie so I switched out both bananas with 2 new ones that are green on the ends.  I also took out the tomatoes that had the most orange color.  I have a few in the garage that are starting to turn too, no bananas out there.


Two of my porch pots still had flowers yesterday when I went out to check the gardens.  There was supposed to be a frost overnight so I don't know what I'll see this morning (I write the blog post around midnight and schedule it for 3:30 a.m.).  I'll have some more outside photos in tomorrow's post.


 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, so beautiful and brilliant! Both of these quilts are perfect next to the burning bush picture- great name for both!
Kathy

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

I really like the on-point setting!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the red quilts are so pretty I love the bright colors. My tomatoes are ripen - slowly but getting there - I think I tried the banana last year in a paper bag but it didn't seem like it really made a difference to mine

patty a. said...

The 16 patch turned out gorgeous! Sewing together a top on point is more of a challenge so I don't make many tops on point. I think the king sized one I made a couple years ago was the last one I made on point. Yes, that red quilt is more Hot than Warm. Maybe you should call it Burning Bush!

I am glad to see your tomatoes are getting ripe. The process it going much slower than I thought it would, but then again it is probably better than having them all ripen at once.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It was definitely worth 23 photos!!!
What a beauty!

Julierose said...

Two lovely quilts you've finished up!! Nice work. We have one maroon-ey red top of a tree we can see in the distance off of our deck--so pretty against today's blue sky. hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

That sixteen patch on point absolutely glows - it is spectacular! The other sixteen patch is so rich and saturated. Aren't digital photos great?!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Nice fiery fun quilts. I still have flowers in the boxes. I can't bear to toss them until the frost zaps them. The on point one looks great and I love the rectangles effect.

JJM said...

On point is “luscious”, front, back and binding too ! It “takes your breath away” ~ you have done it again Wanda. And your Rectangles is again full of ‘your signature’ creating with fabrics.

Fun to see your Burning bush, tomatoes and petunias… I’ve found out, tomatoes will ripen bananas or not.

JJM

Anne Ibach said...

I absolutely LOVE both of these quilts! The 16 patch on point is so gorgeous and the backing is perfect! I'm definitely putting one of these on my list of things to make!

And the red one is definitely HOT! such a gorgeous combo of saturated color! Love it!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Amazing use of all that Kaffe colour, brilliant!

audrey said...

Oh my, that first quilt is just stunning! So very, very pretty with the addition of the floral. I am besotted!:)

Mystic Quilter said...

I don't think we can beat Kaffe for rich, rich colour! The 16 patch on point is a stunner, I love the pops of all other colours peeping through. The "other 16 patch" is also a winner, but I think it's definitely more hot than warm - whatever, it's beautiful!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Both of the quilts are beautiful. I especially like on-point settings. They add so much complexity to the design. The warm quilt could be called burning bush. It has the same colors.

Jacqueline said...

Love the on-point arrangement. Such enchanting colors too.