Saturday, October 29, 2022

2 from the same pattern...........


I finally cut the border for this quilt and and got it sewn on and pressed. It is now 55.5" x 75.5". Procrastination - 5 days, cutting, sewing and pressing - 1 hour.  If you want good directions for making this block, Anne (agilejack) has a great post on it.  I followed her directions for my 2 quilt tops.




Speaking of 2 quilt tops, here they are side by side.  I made the first "The Other 16 Patch - cool" with the block in a vertical position.  For "The Other 16 Patch - HOT" I have the blocks in a horizontal position.  Same block, 2 completely different looks.  I love them both!


This Coral Bell is the one that was red and gold all summer and now it is purple and green, or at least that is what it looks like here.  It is the prettiest Coral Bell in the front garden.




One variety of the miniature Sedum plants really spread out and has lots of blooms that look just like the ones on the big plants.  This one only had a few blooms last year.




The blooms on the big Sedums are a blend of burgundy and brown now.  I will leave them all winter and if we get snow (ha ha, IF we get snow in northern IL) they will have coneheads of white.  They resemble large mushrooms.


Last night I was looking through my 3 Kathy Doughty books and liked this quilt in "Making Quilts".  There are 48 little squares pieced with 2 triangles in every block (576 squares in 12 blocks).  So, I analyzed why I was drawn to the quilt, and would I really want to make it.  I love triangles so I thought that was what drew me in, but the dotty looking fabric in the strips in the blocks and the pebbly looking sashing fabric are pretty neat too. (enlarge the photo to see the fabrics better).  I like busy quilts and print fabric.  After analyzing I think I need to make one block.  That might be enough and it will probably end up as the center of a small medallion quilt or an orphan block.  I would be surprised if I made more than one block.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wanda your productivity always inspires me. And that nlast quilt at the bottom really draws in the eye into the blocks. Love the dotted fabric but making all those little triangles…not so much. Maybe using very busy fabrics for the concentric squares…might achieve a similar look without actually having to add the triangles? Can’t wait to see your version!

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

Oh, that cool colors 16! It's gorgeous.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love looking at Kathy's books but have never been tempted to make any of her quilts aside from the Fractured QAL that Vicki ran several years ago. Pretty sure one block of the one you showed today would be more than enough for me. And the "other" sixteen patches have pulled at me long enough. I have strips cut for a comfort quilt that I suspect will be made using Anne's and Your inspiration.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, that quilt pattern would have me running for the hills with all those little triangles in every block! Love the warm and cool rectangle quilts- so vibrant! Great plant photos for this time of the year.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have at least one of her books but I don't think I have made any of them. Do you convert the size of patterns you find to use your accuquilt dies?

Kathy S. said...

Oh the red quilt is just stunning. I have the large sedum but not the mini. I'll have to see if I can find one of my plant friends to swap me some. I know that stuff is hearty here in Ohio. I have Cora Bells in all different colors. My favorite one is the caramel colored ones. Happy sewing.

Chase Klop said...

Thank you for including the link for the “Other 16 Patch” tutorial. I’ve been in love with yours. I have two Kaffe jelly rolls and that’s what I want to make with at least one of them!

Julierose said...

I love them both, too! That cool one really speaks to me though.
Your coral bells are so pretty and the brownish/burgundy of the sedum is gorgeous..matches your 16 Cool Patch to me!!
Hope your weekend is great--have fun with those triangles hugs, Julierose

JustGail said...

What strikes me about that quilt is the colors are very close to the coral bell and sedum photos you posted. Especially the miniature sedum photo.

JJM said...

These two quilts are so much fun to study, like you said, each so different. As usual you created two beauties.

Your autumn foliage so pretty. . . And WOW ~ that quilt you’re contemplating is a stunner.

JJM

Anonymous said...

I thought I would like the cool quilt better until I seen both quilts side by
side and now I love both quilts equally. Well done!!!
When I saw the photo of the next quilt you had in mind to make I thought to
myself NO WAY would I attempt to make that one!

Kay in Kansas

The Joyful Quilter said...

You inspired her with your 16-Patch and she inspired you with her version... LOVE it, Wanda!!

Anne Ibach said...

You're giving me way too much credit, Wanda! It was your 16 patch tutorial that is the basis for this quilt. I wanted to make a sixteen patch for some time, then Liza Roos Lucy said that the pandemic was a great time to make something you'd always wanted to make. So I dug into your tutorial and never turned back! I had dreaded getting all those seams to match. But your tutorial makes it all so easy and perfect! I just love that little "click" when my seams nest! And my corners... gorgeous!

I love that dark border on your blue and green quilt. It's perfect!

pbj fiber marietta said...

Wanda, I love the border you chose for the cool 16 patch! Kind of calming.
That Kathy Doughty quilt is fabulous! What a challenge!
Loved the photo of your GGD examining the chest. Wonder what she will find to fill it with?

Mystic Quilter said...

Interesting to see these two side by side. I do like the border on the Cool quilt, KF Spots seem to fit in anywhere. Love the fabrics used in the Cool one. We seem to both have the Kathy Doughty books, there are a number of them I couldn't tackle even one block of the quilt you've shown us here. I think the Other 16 Patch quilt will be planned later this week.

Vicki W said...

I'm catching up on blog reading after my little trip away so you are likely to get several comments from me today. I love seeing those 2 quilts side by side. Color is everything! I need to go back through some of my books and look for a new quilt project for myself.