Monday, August 22, 2022

Reviving my Sunday only project..............


I started this project in the middle of April while the regular TV shows were nearing the season end.  Here is the first post.  The pieces were put in a project box after I was up to 68 strips of triangles sewn.  Then of course I wasn't sure where they were and didn't sew on them for awhile.  This is the batch I sewed last night.  I'm not pressing them until I come up with a layout so I can have all nesting seams.


I printed the photo of the inspiration quilt so I would have a guide for how many and the amount of contrast within the strips.  It looks like I need to do some low contrast triangle strips if I want it to be true to the inspiration.


Here are 36 of the strips (out of 80 so far) on the design wall to get a better idea what my mix is.  I need to cut more triangles before I can go much farther on this project.






I needed to check my tomatoes because they sometimes split after a lot of rain.  I found a couple I had to throw away because of the split.  Then I noticed a big bite out of one of the large almost ripe ones.  When I picked it there was a stink bug on it.  I had noticed one yesterday too so I looked it up on the internet, and yes, stink bugs take bites out of tomatoes.  The site recommended picking the tomatoes before they are fully ripe to not lose any more fruit.  It also suggested dropping the bugs in soapy water.  I haven't seen a big infestation of them but I will be watching closely now.  I picked about 14 good size tomatoes in the morning and this was my late afternoon haul.  I'm sharing with 3 neighbors and my granddaughter.  The ripening has been sporadic this year, lots at once and then a week (or more) of nothing.  Not as predictable as previous years.

9 comments:

Julierose said...

Those triangles are so lovely together! I really like that strip idea a lot. nice work on these...
What a great tomato haul...hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

I am glad you are going to make your version more like the inspiration quilt. I like my version but it really doesn’t have the depth or interest that the vintage one holds.

patty a. said...

The triangles and tomatoes are both pretty! I picked another zucchini yesterday. I think that was number 5. I gave two of them to my neighbor. I see another one coming.

MaryJo said...

can you please share where you got the sale for the Marcia fat quarter bundle ?
Thank you !

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

MaryJo, you are a no reply commenter, no email link. I bought the last bundle in stock at the store I purchased from and the code has expired too.

Needled Mom said...

I love your Sunday project. Our tomatoes have been less that stellar this year too, but think it is due to our water restrictions.

JJM said...

It always surprises me to see the many designs you can create with triangles. I appreciate all the hours of thought, cutting, designing, sewing that goes into your creations.

Delicious looking bounty of tomatoes.

JJM

Linda Swanekamp said...

Great triangle line up. I have had to rescue tomatoes once they even start to turn from the voracious squirrels. They take one bite and leave it.

vivian said...

We moved last year and finally got your blog back on my computer with an email change. Yeah.. Love the colors and the quilts you make! Tomatoes look yummy.
Vivian