Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Reds and oranges...........


I did the gathering and cutting of several reds and oranges yesterday.  I cut for all 3 sizes.  I will probably end up with a few blocks I don't need when I get to the final layout.



I got this big block sewn, pressed, and trimmed.  Just waiting for more blocks to be sewn before it will go to the design wall.









I mowed the grass around 6:30 last night.  It was cloudy and had started to cool down. Tomorrow is supposed to be hotter and possible rain Thursday so it seemed like the right time to do it.  I was admiring my front gardens when I got done.  Click twice on the photo for a larger view.


Here is a little closer view of part of the area.  My hydrangea blooms have turned mostly pink now and I'm hoping they make it all the way to the raspberry color this year.



On the other side of the porch the Sedums are doing well next to the house.  I have a wide overhang on the roof so I do water these now and then because the rain doesn't always hit them.  The Annabelle Hydrangea has been flopping down since the last 2 rains.


I have one tomato plant that is producing larger fruit.  It is the Marglobe variety.  It is determinate which means all of the fruit should ripen at the same time.  Also determinate tomato plants usually do well in pots but this particular kind is a sprawling plant instead of bushy like most determinates.  I think one of my volunteer plants might be this variety too because I had one of these last year and the fruit didn't ripen all at the same time as suggested.  It produced over a 2 month time period.  The other tomatoes in the container are Early Girl medium size and the small ones are 4th of July variety.  The tiny ones way at the back are the gold cherry tomatoes.

12 comments:

sewyouquilt2 said...

Beautiful gardens and look at those tomatoes. Looking g good. Love your arboretum blocks too

Anonymous said...

Your arboretum blocks have such great diversity, and your front gardens are just lovely! Love the design, and it is filling in so nicely.
Kathy

patty a. said...

Your front garden is absolutely beautiful! All your hard work is paying off.

Julierose said...

Your gardens are just lovely;)))--loving that raspberry coloring.
Hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so nice that you are still getting tomatoes - I had cut all my tomatoes down to about 12 inches part way through the drought as they were doing badly but I wanted to see if they would grow back. Most have grown back and are looking like healthy plants again but although they have blossoms on them again they are not producing. The blossoms look like they are just drying up - I will leave them be for a little while still.

Linda Swanekamp said...

The gardens look great and are a great color palette for a quilt. Love the big block. I think I can actually get some plum tomatoes today if I beat the squirrels.

JJM said...

Your big block is my favorite block, it has all the charisma needed to make Arboretum another of your show pieces

And my oh my ~ what a treat to see your front garden. Talk about charisma, it is stunning to say the least. I’m going from tell my sister to do a ‘drive by’ your house today. (*._.*)

Delicious looking tomato bounty too.

JJM

MissPat said...

It was wise to add the hardscape pathways in your front garden. The stone keeps everything looking neat and makes it easier to maintain without walking on the soil.
Pat

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your design of the front garden(s) has proven to be outstanding. That and the choice of plants you added. What a treat for you now to see the results every time you go to the mailbox.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

This is the first really good look I've gotten of the front of your house. With all the changes you've made and the plants you've added, it is simply gorgeous! I know it has got to make you happy every time you go out there!

Cathy said...

I’m so impressed by your front garden beds (and, well, your green thumb in general). Everything looks so fresh and lovely. Amazing what good care and lots of rain will do. I’ve struggled keeping things watered this year and many plants have stressed from the heat. Not the weeds, though. Aaaack!

Mary Ellen said...

I am jealous. Your front yard is beautiful.