Monday, October 20, 2008

Uneven strips

One of the disadvantages of using the clean up cuts is the fact that they only have one straight edge, the other edge is however it was cut at the store. I could straighten that edge too, but I like the mystery of leaving it and seeing what happens. You can see that the strip set doesn't lay flat even after pressing. I cut the first square out of the part that is buckling. You can easily smooth out the area to cut one square.
The second cut is made in the next area that is pulling.
Now the rest of the strip set is laying flat enough to cut the rest of the squares out edge to edge.

I'm off to the car dealer's service department for an oil change this morning. Hopefully that is all my car needs.

8 comments:

Julie Bagamary said...

Thanks for the info about cutting into a buckling piece.

Rebel said...

That's good to know! I'm horrible about getting the cuts lined up right with the grain.

Unknown said...

Very nice short tutorial! Love the way it looks. I have a book that you would absolutely enjoy. It is called Stratavarious Quilts. Similar method to what you are doing and they use batiks. I have one of their quilts in progress. All pinks, yellow, purples lots of batiks.

Anonymous said...

The 'whimsy' variety of strip widths add to the charm and design of each piece you make.

I appreciate the photo showing the cutting of those two squares and have often wondered where one would start to cut a square from the striped piece. And now knowing that the buckling portion can still be used is a great 'show 'n tell' today. I would have thought I would have had to start over. Thanks.

J~MT

Laura Wasilowski said...

Great step-out photos. Thanks for sharing.

meggie said...

I was curious as to how you cut your squares too. Thanks for the photos. I love your colour combinations.

Terry said...

I was wondering...how do you cut your squares out? Do you use a rotary cutter or scissors? If you use a rotary cutter how do you avoid the overcut in the corners, you know the one you get at the end of cutting a side before cutting the next side. I find when this happens it can ruin the next square to be cut. I'm probably not making myself clear but was just curious. Terry

jacquie said...

i always learn something new when i come here. i would have thought that that strip piece was unusable.