Thursday, October 9, 2008

Maybe a fix

My friend Diane mentioned in her comment yesterday that maybe I could mix some Kaffe fabrics in with the fossil ferns as I increased the size of this Starburst Mosaic. I had some squares leftover from the last quilt to put up on the design wall. I like the 4 on the left but not the 4 on the right. That means I need to pull the most saturated prints and leave out the spotty ones. I think this is what I will do and make it at least 2 rows of stars bigger all around. The center part is 24" square so each row increases the size by 6".


I pulled out a purple batik that had orange squares in it and cut some of them out and pinned them to my Sept. Journal page. I needed to get the orange into the other areas to bring out the butterfly and flower center colors. I have to go to work for a couple days so I will stare at this each night and decide if I am ready to finish it.
The sun is shining this morning so it has to be a good day.

12 comments:

Elsie Montgomery said...

I agree - the four on the right detract. Funny, but the gray of your design wall makes the middle pop. What about some plain blocks around the outside with just a few of Kaffe's bright ones?

That journal page is going to be stunning!

We have had some cooler weather but the colors are still amazing. No frost yet.

Anonymous said...

I agree... I like the four on left also. They just belong there. The colors compliment the Starburst Mosaic fabric pin wheels.

Butterfly print... Just a thought now... (YOU know how much I know about your creative world). How would it look if you cut those orange squares into circles ? Appliqued down in the same place.

J~MT

imquilternity said...

Great idea. I also agree...I like the four on the left. They do a better job of blending and drawing the eye outward! BEAUTIFUL start!!

jovaliquilts said...

Like everyone else, I like the 4 on the left, but I might also include the other one on the bottom. It could stand out too much, but cut up, it might blend. Scattered near the edge it might just add a little zing.

Diane said...

Oh Wanda, I love the saturated Kaffe fabrics with the fossil fern stars!!! The addition to your journal page makes quite an impact too.

Unknown said...

Yes, the ones on the left are it!! They really work with the fossil ferns. The ones on the right are too light/dull for the middle of the quilt and really don't work. The journal page looks great!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Skipped over the other comments to avoid "persuasion" ~ I agree that the KF on the left are FAR better with your center... but that journal quilt page... oh my! Love it!!

Cathi said...

I agree that the four on the left are the right ones for the centre of that. I can't wait to see the journal page -- it is going to be stunning!

Vicky F said...

Hi Wanda,
I like where you're going with both of these pieces.
That little pop of orange color with the squares really helps the butterfly come out in the piece.
Vicky F

meggie said...

I agree, the 4 on the right look best.
I am becoming quite interested in those journal pages.

Brenda said...

I like the idea of mixing an old project with new fabrics -- I find it easy just to give up on something I made a long time ago. but those Fassett fabrics will put some new life into the project. do you plot out the colours in the blocks before you cut?

Wanda said...

the orange really adds to it! I compared the pictures..with and without..and like the orange alot!