Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A finish, finally

Last night I finished my September Journal Quilt. This series of little quilts are all about simplicity and clean lines. I have a couple more series in mind, techniques that is, subject matter to be decided. I either have to go back and do August or start thinking ahead to November now for this series. Here is one of the redbud trees in all of it's fall glory. The leaves will fall quickly so I took a photo yesterday so I could remember it.
One little section of the viburnum bush has red leaves. This has only happened about 3 times in the 13 years since I planted the bush. Usually the green leaves just drop off.
I don't know how many of you read the comments that people leave on the blogs, but yesterday one comment really touched me. I showed the preemie layette items that I work on for my church and Jina left me a comment that made it all so real. We are all about numbers at the church circle, how many extra small, small, medium and large layettes that we have ready to deliver to the hospital. We work in a little production line, each with our own task. But Jina made it real for me that these are treasures for the parents. And she was right, we get a generic "Thanks for all you are doing" from the hospital but rarely if ever hear from a parent. Now I will be able to picture those tiny little babies as I work on the pieces and know that I have made a difference.
I am the only quilter in our church circle so I get all of the scraps from cutting the little jackets and I make them into patchwork quilts for the preemie ward.

16 comments:

Lynda said...

I agree with you about making prem or other charity quilts. I am a Project Linus rep, and while I know that the quilts are really appreciated, it's always good to get a bit of feedback. Keep up the good work!

Vicki W said...

I used to belong to a group in Virginia Beach that made premie gowns. We got a letter from a parent once that was incredibly touching. It's cool that you are doing these!

I love your journal quilt. what a perfect way to show off your great photography.

Anonymous said...

You must go back to August! I love the journal pages especially with your photo's and September butteryfly is just wonderful. And I DO like the squares of orange. You are always right on, with your composition design.

Viburnum leaves is absolutely color perfect. With the green leaves in the background and red in the foreground ... I can see another journal page.

Again you touched our hearts yesterday. Gifting your talents to the preemie ward. I honestly do not know of another person that gives so freely too so many. Thank you.

J~MT

Elsie Montgomery said...

A group I know went to SE Asia and played soccer with people who could not speak English, yet without words, these Asian people experienced love. One of the group said "It was as if we pierced holes in their darkness." The group members also realized that their significance in being there did not have to be measured by a verbal response.

While a thank-you is nice, you are making life a bit brighter for these parents and babies, Wanda. You are blessed for that!

Cathi said...

Your journal page is fabulous -- the butterfly is really set off by the little squares with orange. Gorgeous.

I can't get over how vibrant the colours are around here.

Unknown said...

It truly is rewarding to hear from the people that you are making the layettes for and know that they are appreciated. How wonderful it is that you get the scraps and can make premie quilts. They get a double benefit! You should truly be proud yet humbled to be part of such a wonderful cause.

Stephanie D said...

Such prettiness! I love the September page.

And how wonderful that you can make the quilts, too, for the parents.

I belonged to an online group, that when it was active, made tiny quiltlets for NICU preemies. We never heard back directly from the parents, but some of the nurses were kind enough to send us notes thanking us for the blankets. It does make it more personal.

meggie said...

Love that Journal page.

The leaves are so pretty.

The blanket is lovely, & nothing goes to waste. I am sure the babies can feel that love.

Anonymous said...

Your journal page is really nice. The little bits of orange actually draw your eyes to the butterfly. Also the baby quilt looks so soft and cuddly. The babies are very lucky to have a group like yours.

Vicky F said...

Hi Wanda,
Your journal page turned out gorgeous. Your choice of batiks really complements the photo.

And that "leftovers" quilt -- very sweet.

Vicky F

Anonymous said...

Years ago, I belonged to a quilting guild that makes quilts for the NICU of one of our local hospitals. I enjoyed working on those quilts, never suspecting that one day one of our granddaughters would be calling the NICU home for her first 3 weeks of life. (She was 10 weeks early, weighed 3 lbs, 1 oz., but did so well that she was sent home at 3 lbs, 4 oz.) I know from personal experience how much those little quilts brighten an otherwise sterile environment.

Unknown said...

Wonderful journal quilt! That is a great way to showcase your photograph. The orange squares are especially perfect!
How special the things your making for the hospital are!

Wanda said...

very nice finished journal quilt. The colors sure are nice..they always seem to fade and fall so quickly. But while they are here.....

TB said...

Lovely journal quilt. Fall is my favorite season, but here it has not come into the beautiful colors yet. Quilting for the good of others is a wonderful way to share the products of our talents.

jovaliquilts said...

I'm so glad you got to find out what a difference those preemie items make. When we hear from someone who has gotten a Linus quilt, it's the same sort of thing. I'm no longer sending them into the void, but to real people.

Looks like you'll have lots of raking to do...!

jacquie said...

love your finished journal quilt. it's wonderful. i spent 7 weeks in the neo natal intensive care unit with my son. i can't tell you how much something like that would have meant to me. it can be such a sterile, scary place, and a bit of warmth and comfort would mean so much. good for you.