Friday, October 17, 2008

A peek from the past

In the mid 1970's I was making patchwork pillows, selling them at craft shows and selling wholesale to an antique shop in a suburb of Chicago. This was one of the favorite styles, Holly Hobbie and crazy piecing with a feather stitch (machine sewn) for trim. One of our local freecyclers was requesting 1970's clothing for a high school play, and while I looked through the attic I found this pillow that decorated my daughter's bedroom in that time period. After I got home from computer club last night I watched a show that I had taped and made some multicolor strip sets. I am thinking about an August Journal quilt page.
Today I have someone coming to check on a roof leak by my chimney. I think the flashing just needs to be fixed. There is so much to do before winter.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really nice strips for August Journal page. Pillow is still so sweet. What ever happened to Holly Hobbie? Is she still around?

J~MT

Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda,
Thanks for the blog.
What is the cut width of the strips you cut for your strip piecing? I assume it's the same for all you Prismatic Garden series.
Phyllis

Unknown said...

How funny, I just posted some 1st quilts of mine. I also just had someone come over to check a roof leak here too. We thought the flashing was bad too, not the case, can't figure it out. Not good! Love your new strips.

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

I am liking the straight across strip blocks. I want to do up some..have to empty my scrap drawers somehow.

Pattie said...

That pillow brings back a lot of fond memories, Wanda. Thanks for sharing it!

Joyce said...

That pillow really brings me back. My girls were huge Holly Hobby fans and I made each of them Holly Hobby outfits.

jacquie said...

that pillow is sooo 70's. definitely takes me back. i love what you have done with these strip sets.

Sharon said...

Oh my, that pillow is causing a flashback! My fabric stash looked a lot like that, even as small as it was. Wow, I'd almost forgotten the whole Holly Hobby thing.
Love all your strip sets. Your batiks just make my mouth water!

Chris Daly said...

I love it. That pillow looks like it would have gone perfectly in our bedroom along with the holly hobby bedspread and drapes my mother sewed for us. Oh and don't forget the holly hobby paper toll.

Lynda said...

The contrast between the little cushion and the batik strips is quite extreme. They are both so much of their time (but I lke the batiks much more!)