Sunday, October 19, 2008

Connecting with the past

This last 4 weeks has been full of reunions with people from my past. Yesterday I went to the memorial service for the mother (97 yrs old) of a boy I went to school with in grades 1-8. We didn't have kindergarten back then, and we went to one room schoolhouses until 5th grade. Our new school had 3 rooms and 50 students. The reason I went to the memorial was of course to see the boy I had gone to school with and 3 of his siblings that also went to the schools. It was so wonderful to see him after 54 years. On a sad note, he told me the other boy in our 8th grade graduating class of 4 had passed away earlier this year. The other girl went to my high school and I saw her on Sept. 27th. I will have a lot of good memories from these reunions to look back at in future days.

I cut up another strip set I had made several months ago that was mostly light and medium values with only a few darks in it. I thought the first squares I cut needed a little more light with them.
Now I am trying to decide whether to cut up some of the blue and green sets I have made. Maybe the answer will come to me later today.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

It is nice to reconnect with people from our past. Sad to hear that they have passed on though. I love the progress you have made with your quilt!

Anonymous said...

HI Wanda,
You know I am older than you and I find it rather interesting that I went to kindergarten and you didn't.
We lived in Chicago so that might be the reason. I will have to ask my sister in-law, she lived in Sugar Grove, if she had kindergarten.
My school reunions weren't as much fun as yours sounded.
Louise

Anonymous said...

Living in town in Sandwich, I attended kindergarten. I know my friends living in the rural area of Sandwich did not have kindergarten either. And like you there were district country school houses.

These reunions sure bring back a flood of memories don't they?

Drama was my first thought when I looked at your advancing build up of squares. I like it.

J~MT

Quiltdivajulie said...

Love what you're doing with this diagonal blocks...

I attended larger schools and there were no solid, lasting relationships formed, which is sad. I'm glad you have good memories to enjoy.

Vicky F said...

Hi Wanda,
I don't know how you do it, but your strip choices cause the quilt-to-be to positively glow! (you can see the glowing better if you click on the image)

I went to school in the 60's, and in first grade we went to a 4-room school (2 classes of 1st grade, 2 classes of 2nd).
Imagine our surprise when we came back to school after summer break, the old school house was gone and a shiny new K-6 building had been built behind it. Not nearly as charming, for sure.
Vicky F

Stephanie D said...

It's looking good, Wanda!

I was in a high school graduating class of about 150, and haven't made it to a reunion yet (graduated in '69), but have kept up with a couple of folks. I didn't go to kindergarten, either, and neither did my brothers or sister (all younger).

Guess it depends on where you grew up.

meggie said...

I have never wanted to go to a school reunion. It is odd that the one friend I am still close to, from those first school days, says she wouldn't go either!
My brother went to one, & he said Never Again.