Sunday, October 12, 2008

The other "found" box

This is what was in the other "found" box in the fruit cellar. I have looked and looked for this one. I knew where it was before I moved things around in the basement. I thought it should have been with my other paper piecing things but it wasn't. I started this one in the late 1990's so it is mostly batiks from that era or earlier. I have enough more units pieced to make 2 more star points and a start on a third one with just 9 units per star point. The picture on the package is a bigger star. I'm thinking about what else I could use these pieces for. The family reunion went well yesterday. My dad was the oldest one there and my mother and my dad's cousin followed. The temperature was in the low 80's and the flies weren't too bad. We rent a building at a forest preserve that has a fireplace that has been used on some of the colder Octobers. This time we had the windows open to let the warm air in.

Its another beautiful day today. My friend J~MT promises me some of her cold Montana air but it looks like we won't get it until Thursday because of the buckle in the jet stream. I know the cold weather can't be far away but it's hard to think of it when it is so warm here.

10 comments:

Vicki W said...

that is one of the first quilts I eve made - I think it was #4. It is still my favorite and hangs on my bedroom wall. I still want to do her orange peel quilt with some hand dyed fabrics.

Cathi said...

That is absolutely gorgeous -- love the effect of those diamonds.
It's glorious and warm here too -- and I'm enjoying every minute of it!

jovaliquilts said...

I have cleverly put some things where they'll be easy to find and then have been unable to find them. Happens every time I "clean up"!

Glad you had a good family reunion. :)

TB said...

Happy Sunday! Sounds like it was a wonderful family gathering. I can just see it as you described. The "found" pieces are beautiful! I anticipate hearing what you decide to do with them.

Mary-Kay said...

Do batiks from the 90's look dated or do they look just like today's batiks? I kind of think that they must have a timeless look. I haven't been quilting long enough to have collected any batiks from the 90's.

Unknown said...

Love the quilt! That is such a terrific pattern and the batiks really are timeless.

I am glad to hear your reunion went well and hope you have some fall like weather soon. I would send some of this crisp fall New England weather your way if I could.

dee said...

Hi Wanda, I have that book and the paper patterns. I put them away for the day when I could think about making this without tearing my hair out. Haven't made it there yet. I'll let it age a little more.

meggie said...

I hate tidying up for the same reasons. I 'lose' things for a long time, after every tidy-up!

Anonymous said...

The treasure's you uncover are just facinating to all of us daily blog followers.

Always fun to check in with you. If I had a blog... I would be spinning my wheels for months wondering what to post. I admire how much you share with us every day of the week.

J~MT

Laura Wasilowski said...

You've always had a great eye for color Wanda. This is beautiful!