Wednesday, October 8, 2008

More found items

I was looking for something else when I spied this box on an upper shelf of my fruit cellar. They used to build fruit cellars into homes and retired farmers built my house in 1953. I imagine they probably had food in there. I have quilting supplies in there. Anyway, I found this box and now I have another guilt trip facing me. I used all Fossil Fern fabrics and have this much sewn together.
Here are the rest of the pieces. Now I have to make the decision: is this piece going to be bigger or will I just use those pieces in a different quilt.
I started my September Journal page but I'm not sure what I want to add so it will probably simmer for awhile.
We had rain yesterday and it is gray this morning but the sun should come out this afternoon. We are supposed to have 80 degrees on Saturday, the day of my family reunion.

12 comments:

Stephanie D said...

Love that mosaic! Of course, you'll have to make it bigger--can there be too much of a good thing? lol

Unknown said...

I love the fossil fern quilt, very happy! But boy do I love your journal page and how you incorporated the picture of your butterfly and flowers. I hope you do have a wonderful reunion.

Cathi said...

The fossil fern quilt is stunning! I'd definitely make it bigger and utilize those gorgeous pieces of fossil ferns all together! But then I love fossil ferns so ...
Your September journal page is going to be fabulous with that butterfly/flower picture!

Diane said...

Wanda, You have the best secrets and surprises stashed around your house! I wonder how those fabulous fossil ferns would look surrounded by Kaffe fabrics. I look forward to following your journaling progress. You’re off to an AWESOME start.

jovaliquilts said...

I love those tessellating stars, and the fabric is scrumptious. I have that pattern, and have intended to use it with some squares I bought from your other website.

Kristin L said...

Only finish the stars if it excites you. Otherwise, make it a pillow cover and move on. I really like the journal quilt -- especially the way the small nine patch blocks help the transition from the detail of the photo to the graphic nature of the pieces stripes.

Candy Schultz said...

I like that starburst quite a lot.

Marilyn said...

Whatever you decide with the fossil fern Mosaic Stars will be stunning. I really love your journal pages.

Vicky F said...

Hi Wanda,
You sure have nice surprises hiding in your house.
How big is the Fossil Fern piece? about 20 by 20 inches?
I'm sure you'll come up with something yummy, whatever you decide to do.
Vicky F

Anonymous said...

Thank you for printing out your butterfly and flowers. PERFECT for September Journal page. Not sure I could let that one simmer ~ the striped piece compliments photo perfectly.

PinWheels are full of life, with wonderful color. Like glowing reflections of light on each pin wheel. I agree with the above commenters... Such wonderful surprises you find and share with us just makes me smile.

J~MT

floribunda said...

I think the stars are very pretty, but it seems so "planned" compared to the more creative projects you usually show us. And I always thought fossil ferns were too flimsy... anyway, maybe you can come up with a way to make it more "you"!

meggie said...

Oh oh, I will have to come back, to see what you do! How fascinating this is!