Friday, October 10, 2008

Cross stitch

I owned a quilt shop in the 1980's and we carried cross stitch supplies too. Last night I was going through the books and patterns that I had saved so I could decide which ones to send to a missionary who is reaching women through needlework.

Here is a pattern that I made several times. I thought I would make them into gifts for friends. The date on my piece is 1988 and I have 2 more somewhere. I'm only 20 years late giving them to someone.
I liked this one so well I bought it twice. I loved the Prairie Schooler patterns and even have books 1 and 2. I don't know if they are still a company or not. The designs are more country or primitive than my decorating so I never had a place to hang the ones I did. I can decorate with their Christmas designs though. I'm off to work again today. Tomorrow is the family reunion. My dad (94) and his cousin (90) are the only 2 left from their generation. I have talked my parents into going this year. I doubt if the reunion will continue when the cousin is gone.

12 comments:

Stephanie D said...

But then there's YOUR generation who needs to continue the tradition until you're all in your 90s.

jacquie said...

i'm a cross stitcher from WAY back. i've done these patterns before. was so my style back then. i still love the feel of them. enjoy the reunion!

Elsie Montgomery said...

Love that quilter cross stitch! Any way I could get a copy of that pattern?

Our family reunion wasn't the same after our parents were all gone. We cousins have the same closeness, but busy lives. For that reason, many didn't make it to the one we had this summer. They missed a good time and we missed them. I know the nostalgic feel of thinking they will not happen or never be the same... :-(

Pattie said...

My Mom was the oldest of her seven siblings, and when she passed, the reunions sort of dried up. My cousin and I have tried putting one together, but it just doesn’t seem of interested to the family. Too bad. I hope you can keep yours going.

I LOVE your cross stitch work, Wanda. But then, I'm all about country/primitive decor in my home!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Take LOTS of photos and be sure to put the names of the people on the backs! The generations that come behind will be ever so grateful...

Has anyone ever gathered the oral histories of your dad and his cousin? What it must be like for them to have lived through so many years...

Anonymous said...

Prairie Schooler is still in business. They put out four new books in the spring and four new books in the fall plus the annual Santa chart. They have a website
www.prairieschooler.com

I still use their patterns for Christmas ornaments and such. Even after all these years I still love their patterns.

Cathi said...

That little quilter cross stitch is wonderful! Haven't done any of that for years, but it's tempting.

Wanda said...

I love finding a stash of things I haven't seen for many years! It does bring back memories. I am so glad you talked your parents into going to the reunion. Your quilting is beautiful and I'm so glad I found your blog! ...from the other Wanda!

Julie Bagamary said...

I love the idea of sending the patterns and kits to the missionary who uses it to reach women!

meggie said...

Cross stitch is lovely. I never did do any, but my daughter liked to do it. She never seems to get time now.

doni said...

Prairie Schooler is definitely still in business. I don't know how they get such expressive faces without half or quarter stitches but I love them! I'm just starting this year's Santa - first time in a decade I've been caught up - I have that book too. I also love their houses. Thanks for sharing!

doni @ Oregon coast

Jeanne said...

I love Prairie Schooler designs! I have every Santa card since they came out in 1984. The Told In The Garden girl quilting is really cute, too.