Saturday, October 11, 2008

Last days of flowers

The end of summer garden is looking pretty scraggly. There is still some color contrast though. Some of the asters are dead and dried up and some are in their last stages of blooming. I would like to leave the seed heads for the birds, but that also means I am pulling out volunteer plants all spring and summer. I will cut some and leave some I guess.
The only sewing I did was the serging on the edge of the preemie blankets for our church project. We supply a local hospital with preemie layettes.
It is a beautiful sunny morning and it is supposed to be 80 degrees for 3 days in a row. I don't know if this qualifies for Indian Summer or if that follows a frost.

5 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Live and learn -- I never knew Indian summer meant anything but warm weather in the fall, but you inspired me to check it out. Apparently in some places it is 7 days in a row of weather at least 70 degrees after the autumnal equinox, and in some places it must also be after the first frost. We have had such gorgeous weather, but I don't like it to be in the 80's this late in October.

Unknown said...

Your flowers are looking like mine. I think though that we may have had some colder weather than you. Right now it is supposed to be in the mid 70's through Sunday. My plants are definitely past their peek. Although, my pink asters are looking good still. Mums are definitely good! Our guild also does preemie quilts for the local hospital. It is a very good thing! Enjoy your weekend.

Elsie Montgomery said...

We had our first frost last night, at least it hit the roof tops. I've not checked the flowers yet.

Yesterday I said I'd like a copy of that cross stitch pattern, and last night it was there in my inbox! Wanda, you are a delightful friend. Thank you again. I am going to make this for my sewing studio.

hugs and even though it is Thanksgiving only in Canada this weekend, happy Thanksgiving!

Cathi said...

Your flowers look like our roof garden is starting to look, but at least there's still some colour.
We're supposed to have quite a few days of temps in the 70s and I do think of it as Indian Summer. I believe we have had a frost as one night about a week ago we had a wind chill of -1, so maybe this qualifies as true Indian Summer.

Anonymous said...

We have had highs in the mid 40's all week. On the cool brisk side for sure. We wake up to temps in the teens in the morning. Like 16 degrees. We are sending it your way... like about Monday or Tuesday you will feel it in Sandwich.

J~MT