Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Oh what a beautiful morning

Happy New Year everyone! We had snowfall start yesterday afternoon and continue into the evening. It is that piling up type snow that sticks to the branches. This scene is looking through to my backyard neighbors' raspberry bushes and then onto pine trees a block away. It is so clean and white and beautiful. And.....it is cold, 21 degrees this morning with a promise for colder yet tomorrow. Here are the sedum flowers looking out my studio window.
And a front flower bed with the snow piled up each flower and branch. You can see they have plowed the street already.
And now onto some fabric tips. I remember when I took the Mary Ellen Hopkins workshop she talked about the fact that we all buy the pretty prints, the colorful prints but rarely do we buy the light colors. She was commenting that even the store owners were guilty of this so most people didn't have a full range of values in their stash. Even though I did have lights in my stash I was on the lookout for interesting light fabrics, ones with movement and excitement. Now I have 2 huge blanket boxes full and when I go through them to see if I could sell some, I am really reluctant to part with any of them.
Do you have lights in your stash?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda,happy new year. I like your lights,Wig.p.s glad you got the snow instead of us.haha.

antique quilter said...

Oh I wish we would have gotten the snow , its just raining...oh well.
I have lights n my stash but to tell you the truth I like more of the tans/beiges now for my lights.
interesting though I read that a long time ago too, probably in her book!, about making sure you buy lights for your stash.
Kathie

Elsie Montgomery said...

Our window offers almost identical views... snow plastered and piled on everything, only here it is much colder. Some days we have the incredible addition of sunshine and deep blue skies, which means the temperature usually drops (cloudy is warmer), but the result is amazing.

I started to buy lighter fabrics too, mostly because their absence was felt while trying to make a stash-buster type of quilt. You are right--many stores carry mostly deeper, darker colors.

Happy New Year, Wanda!

Val said...

I have to say I don't use lights a lot but I have promised myself a pastel dyeing day next weekend!

Vicky aka Stichr said...

I am pretty sure I have a few lights scattered in amonst my others. I also discovered yesterday, that I have wayyyy more black with whites's than I thought I would ever have. Totally other end of the scale.

Joyce said...

I have some lights but my stash is definitely light on lights.

meggie said...

I never seem to have enough lights, even thought I seem to buy them! I guess this means I must use them all.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Wanda for your "Wandaful" blog. I look forward to checking in with you, as it brightens my every day, with learning more and the pleasure of seeing your fantastic creativity in the needleart work world of "exuberant color" of quilting.

Looking forward to a year of more thrills. J~MT

Shelina said...

Your snow scenes are beautiful.
I too love lights that are interesting, rather than just flat backgrounds. I don't have very many, but have collected a few the last couple of years.

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Happy New Year! We're snowing again here in NH. The piles are giant at the sides of the road. Enough already! At least it is good quilting weather.

Jeri said...

I don't have a lot of light fabrics! I find myself needing lights and having to purchase fabric because I never want to buy lights. (they aren't very interesting, are they?) :)

Michael5000 said...

Oh, man... I had to buy BALES of light fabrics to work Labyrynth. The good news is, now I have lots of light fabrics....

Bobbie said...

Hi Wanda...I have a question..I am having a really hard time deciding on what is a "medium" color..I can tell what a light is and a dark, and I feel kinda dumb asking, but how do you tell when a fabric is a "medium"? Does it depend on what you put it with? Thank you in advance.