Friday, January 11, 2008

"Need to finish" box, part 2

I decided to really tackle the "need to finish" box this year. Michael, in the comments yesterday, wondered how I could forget a wonderful quilt top like the one I showed yesterday. Did I mention, the box is LARGE and you can get a lot of quilt tops in it? Also the one from yesterday........well I had made it for consideration as the raffle quilt for a local organization. When I realized it was getting pretty late and they hadn't contacted me, I asked and found out that another lady presented hers for consideration, and without looking at mine OR asking my price, they decided hers would be cheaper than mine and bought hers. I put the top away not wanting to remember the circumstances around it. Now....this is a new year....the old is gone, everything is new, so it is a beautiful forgotten quilt top that I will finish this year.

The next one I pulled out to finish is a Strips That Sizzle quilt top. It had the periwinkle blue borders already sewn on it, the backing was chosen and was with it. The problem?? The borders must have been stretched slightly as they were sewn on and they had shrunk back to their original size and were distorting the quilt top. It only took a half hour while watching a movie to tear them off. I have more of the fabric so I will use the 2 long borders for the first strips sewn on, and cut 2 new ones for the longer pieces.
,Below is a close up picture of the fabrics in this one, which is probably 12 years old or older.



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy! i like this one. It has a lot of bling.I like the quilt above also, good fine. Wig.

The Calico Cat said...

This has a definate "red hat lady" look to it...

(Are they passe yet? Please...)

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

Yours are so much better than the ones in the book.
Your colours relate and the designs are more contained.

Anonymous said...

What fun it is to see what is in your big box of 'need to finish'. I hope you show us the entire box. Todays 'Strips that Sizzle' is just vibrant. Did I understand that you will cut longer blue stips to be sewn back on? The vivid blue just makes it sing. J~MT

Joyce said...

Well worth finishing. I love it.

meggie said...

Very sizzler!
How exciting to 'rediscover' your treasures!

Anonymous said...

Just love this one.Always wanted to do a "Srips That
Sizzle one. You are an inspiration, as usual. Thank you! jmh

Anonymous said...

Calico Cat must have been ousted from the Red Hat Ladies to leave such a comment. Besides that is red and blue. And what is wrong with red and purple? The quilt is just beautiful! Thanks for the close ups you always provide, your piecing is just pure magic.

Unknown said...

Love this strips that sizzle. I've never made one but know what you mean by that box of tops that need finishing.

Elaine Adair said...

What timing! YOU are just what I needed. I am nearly 'ready' to start cutting my lovely strips! Gotta get the border on the project on living room floor, then I'm ready to CUT!

Sue said...

Hi Wanda,
You're so fast, you've probably already done this border. But something about the blue strip being offset made me think it might be nice with an Attic Windows style border - a lighter blue on top and left side.

Lynda said...

I decided to take a break from puuting my Sizzling Strips blocks together and catch up with blogging, and immediately saw your gorgeous Sizling Strips quilt! What a coincidence that we're both working on this (rather old, but fabulous) technique at the same time!