Saturday, January 19, 2008

In the Archives

This first piece is from the "Needs to be Finished" box and I was looking in my old pictures on my computer for the piece that these scraps are from. I never did find it so I guess I don't have a picture of it and I donated it to a new nursing home that was in need of color hanging on their great room walls. I made the blocks for the original piece in 1992 thinking I would make them into a jacket. Months later I decided to make them into a quilt. All of the little leftovers were just so neat and fun looking that I started sewing them together and ended up with this. This part is kind of the focal point where I added that Dutch wax fabric with the bird.
The block below was one left over from the quilt. I made strip piecing out of 3 wider and 2 narrower strips then cut squares, and then triangles. It was a pretty subdued quilt for me because having planned it for a jacket originally, patchwork for jackets should be more subdued.
While searching the archives on my oldest computer, I found this picture which wasn't in my desktop computer. It was my class sample for Victoria's Garden, a quilt in "Blended Quilts" by McCloskey and Yenter.
It has more of a decorator look to it, subdued and lots of medium value, so that it would just blend into a room and not be the first thing you saw.

3 comments:

Elsie Montgomery said...

Hi Wanda,
I'm back from a true vacation (could not get on the Internet - LOL), but really missed my daily dose of Exuberant Color!

However, I found a quilt shop that made me think of heaven. It is The Quilt Place in Rockledge, Florida. (www.thequiltplace.com). They have the largest collection of batiks that I've seen, arranged in mini-mountains throughout the store. I arrived with a color collection in mind, so left still owning my house, but had I not done that, I'd still be there. One "mountain" was all red batiks! Nice ladies running the place too.

Now, so much to do and I'm scared to check my email, but glad to reconnect... and thanks again for the great parcels!!

meggie said...

Every time I see a new pic on here, I want to make something like it!
I love the quiet colours in the lower quilt.

Anonymous said...

First quilt would have been a fun one to make a jacket out of. My love for tailor is showing.(*._,*) Love the color combination and focal piece of Dutch wax fabric.

Victoria's Garden ~ It is 'Timeless' quilt that is comforting just to look at it. Love the subdued colors with medium value. J~MT