Thursday, January 31, 2008

Embroidered quilts

While I was working at the local sewing machine store I made samples to be hung in the store and to be used to decorate the booths at shows. I like to use old blue jeans for quilts and since there were 4 jeans wearers in their family, they kept me supplied.

The different sewing machine companies produce CD's with designs exclusive to their company. One of the ones from Babylock was all about little kids. I chose just the boy designs, used the blue checked fabrics to embroider most of the designs on and then filled in with a little embroidery on some of the denim pieces. I designed these quilts as I was working one them, nothing was planned ahead of time.
We ordered some of the Loralie embroidery designs and the matching fabric line. Once again I just started doing the embroidery and designed the quilt afterwards. I am offering a class at that store this month on "Design as you go embroidery quilts". I know that putting the word design in the title scares off a lot of people since most of them want every step laid out for them. I am still hoping there are some adventurous people out there.

7 comments:

Val said...

These are both intriguing and very inspirational. I love the second one particularly.

Becky said...

Love it. I have all sorts of designs to make such quilts and just haven't been motivated. It's nice to see pictures because it makes want to run home and start sewing.

Anonymous said...

These two quilts are FUN and WHIMSICAL~ For all of us Mom's that have had little boys it tugs at my heart strings. And the fabric border with the ladies combined with the embroidered comical designs sure brings an instant smile. If you haven't double clicked on those quilts please do to really appreciate the detail. J~MT

meggie said...

What fun! I wish I lived close enough to take your class!!

jacquie said...

Found your blog through Becky's. WOW, you do fantastic work. I loved looking at all of your quilts and learned lots just reading your blog. Thanks for sharing. Ditto what meggie said...

Purple Pam said...

Me, too. I want to play. I would be one of those adventureous quilters who want to take a chance. You are so creative. Keep up the good work!

Jaye said...

Call it improvisational quiltmaking. Who doesn't have random blocks, bits of embroidery or beautiful squares they can't bear to slash up?