Thursday, January 24, 2008

Making small quilts

One of the ideas I presented to my art quilters was making a series of small quilts, about 9" x 12", or in the journal quilt size. I alerted them to be thinking about a theme ahead of time. One of my suggestions was the 4 seasons. I pulled three fabrics that I thought would work, and just gave them a brief demonstration. I haven't done any more to it; it is just fabric laying on a base piece. I know I will add a moon. The word Winter was stamped with tiny rubber stamps but the ink wasn't very dark so I may need to re ink the pad. I'm not sure how many of these I will make but I like making small pieces. Instant gratification.

The project I will tackle today is quilting a quilt I started 13 months ago. It is basted and ready......

Another blog you need to visit is Elsie's. She did a quilt she calls her Insanity Quilt.

And another link, to Candy's where she posted a yo-yo quilt that she found.

6 comments:

Kristin L said...

Thanks for teh links. Candy's yo-yo quilt is stunning. I too always think feedsack colors/fabrics when I think yo-yo coverlets. weird how we get stuck on associations. Now I'll think a bit differently about them.

Anonymous said...

Winter~ 9"x12" Instant gratification. That's for me! Love it as it looks like my back yard. And I too thank you for the links. Michael's was amazing. Enjoyed Candy's and was really impressed with Elsie's rail fence.

J~MT

Paula, the quilter said...

I did the 2006 Journal Quilt Project for IQF in Houston. I found that I, too, like to work small. Although the size of those quilts were 8.5x11: the size of a sheet of paper.

meggie said...

That makes a lovely winter scene!
Thanks for the links, I just fell in love with Elsie's lovely railfence quilt.

TB said...

Such a simple little quilt and speaks winter so well.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Love the little quilt - the addition of the plum/purple is unexpected in a winter scene (trust me, I'm looking at one right now) so sets this apart.

Am posting fresh snow pictures on the blog as we speak.