Friday, January 25, 2008

Nothing new

I'm just in the middle of finishing some projects so I don't have anything new to show. I have had a leisurely week which happens after I finish a special piece. After finishing a project (heart quilt) I have such an empty feeling. Maybe that is why I have so much unfinished work.

Below are 2 small quilts that I finished last year. The first one is one of those slash projects where you make blocks, then slash them off center to the right and below center horizontally. Rearrange the pieces into new blocks. Of course you have to make a variety of blocks; they can't be all the same fabrics. These fabrics for the center were a leftover pile of 3.5" strips that didn't get used in another quilt. Amazingly all of the leftovers went together well.
On the one below I was inspired by a quilt in some magazine and made the pieced blocks, but soon grew tired of the color palette and found a batik with animals on it in my stash to fill in as alternate blocks. This one was sold at the IL Artisan's gallery last year.

5 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

It's always reassuring to me to learn that others start things and get bored and move on... sometimes I think it's just me...

Karen said...

That first quilt really appeals to me,and I'm trying to figure it out. Is the original block just a framed square? I can see the lines where you made you cuts. It looks like a fun project for playing around with fabrics.

Anonymous said...

What do you mean "nothing new to show"? Those two quilts are NEW to me, and both have wonderful color pallets. I do not know of any one out there that has worked as faithfully as you have with their daily blog. Every day is a treat even when you think you do not have anything to share.

J~MT

meggie said...

I agree with J~MT, your blog is a treat & each new quilt you show is something to study & admire.
I love the surprise elements in your quilts!

Dixie Redmond said...

They both are wonderful, but the earth toned one just sets me at peace.