Sunday, January 20, 2008

I like it all

I like the brights. I guess you all had that figured out! This piece was made with one set of strips, cut freehand without a ruler, then sliced in irregular widths and flipped every other one to reverse the colors. Since I only considered it an exercise at the time I made it, I hadn't really considered finishing it into a small wallhanging until now. I like plaids. I wear plaid a lot. I was raised on a farm and wore flannel shirts a lot. When I learned to sew, I loved making plaid clothing to see how accurately matched I could sew it. I like the soft country feel of plaids although one of my friends tells me that even my plaid quilts are bright. I can only guess she means I still use fairly high contrast in the values. This is another unfinished, small piece that I think I will add columns or borders to and make it into a baby quilt.
A week ago I cut some more blocks and got them pieced a couple nights ago. I think this is the final layout.

10 comments:

Vicki W said...

Yes, it's ALL good! I lvoe the new quilt you are working on and the plaid one is so calming. It will be a grat baby quilt.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Oh, again, these are nice. I really like the one with all the reds! Such a simple block yet the choices and layout make it sing!

antique quilter said...

Of course I love the plaid one. thats a great combo of blocks! May have to try that.
the bottom quilt is just fun I made a quilt like that once using all brights, it was fun to do and yes I gave it away! can't wait to see yours finished!

Kathie

canquilt said...

wow, your box of unfinished quilts is dwindling. How many more have your got stashed away. Doesn't it feel good to finish them up?

Anonymous said...

Are you having as much fun as we are looking into your 'to be finished box'? Inspiration from you on a daily basis always feels so good. Your 'new' red blocks is another grand piece. Have always liked plaids. And 'rhythm' of your African inspired piece will be a wonderful wall hanging.

J~MT

meggie said...

My mouth just dropped open in awe of that red quilt!
I dont normally like red much, but I find myself coveting that!
All your ideas are so different & so appealing.

TB said...

I love b&w fabrics mixed with bright colors, so that first quilt appeals to me quite a bit. The bold colored red one at the bottom of the blog is gorgeous!

Quiltdivajulie said...

LOVE the brights with the black and white borders... WOW!!!

I have several of the blended quilt books (they've been looked at but never "used") if anyone is interested...

Michael5000 said...

Hmmm... How about paisleys? No, too easy. How about corderoy? Have you ever made a corderoy quilt? : )

Frieda Anderson said...

I love this combination. I am waiting for you to show a quilt in all black and white, so I can start making it from my black and white collection.