Monday, January 14, 2008

"Needs to be Finished" box, part 4

There is nothing really special about rail fence; in fact it is usually one of the choices for a person's first quilt. Occasionally I find 4 fabrics that I like so well together that I just have to make a quilt out of them. This top was made 12-15 years ago. Even though I rarely work with blue or turquoise I really like this top. this one is 67.5" x 91". I used this quilt top at the end of many programs I gave, using it as a lesson that the pattern does not have to be so complicated that it takes you 5 years to make it. The combinations of fabrics within the quilt are what makes it sing. I have seen many dull "perfect" quilts and many exciting simple quilts.

7 comments:

Joyce said...

That is the pattern of my first full sized quilt. I made a small nine patch first that had multitudes of mistakes. My Rail Fence was done in rainbow batiks.

meggie said...

That is a lovely quilt, Wanda. It certainly does sing.
I have never done a rail fence quilt!

The Calico Cat said...

This one is definately excitingly simple! Love the specks of orange & in my mind, I am saying, "I wonder how that would have turned out if she focused on the oranges..."

So...
4 fabrics - quantities, width of those strips... A good idea is worth passing on!

Anonymous said...

"Rail Fence" WOW WOW WOW it is absolutely beautiful ! As one who loves to see and study quilts MORE than making them. This one has the simple elegance that makes it a beauty. Love the fabric choices, just stunning.

J~MT

canquilt said...

The orange flowers are making this quilt sing. I have made so many of these for quick baby quilts for donation. It is a default quilt for me when I need the quick gift or the quick donation.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I couldn't agree more... complex piecing does NOT guarantee a "wow" finish.

LOVE your awesome fabric choices!!

TB said...

Agreed. Some quilts I've like the most have been simple, but with beautiful color/fabric combinations. Very nice, Wanda.