Monday, January 7, 2008

Basting, cutting, and thanks

I'll start out with thanking everyone for their votes on beads or no beads, and whether to make the other quilt bigger. It really helps to have the input from other people. I have seen both quilts from a lot of views now. I am going to wait on the beading issue until after my art quilters' group meets at my house on Jan. 21. On the other one, I am going to add a row to the side and one to the bottom to get a little better mix of the colors as well as getting it to a better lap size.

I thought I would tell you about my basting. I have been basting quilt for 50 years now and a few things have changed but one stays the same. I tried basting with straight pins and saw them roll their way out of the quilt as I worked. Then I tried T pins. They stayed in place much better but because I ran into them all the time I would get blood on the quilt. Then I tried thread basting with a running stitch. I found that the layers still moved back and forth on the thread. Added later: I also tried safety pins which I hated opening and closing.

Then I tried the padding stitch that I had used in tailoring. If you look closely at this picture you will see a dark thread in a diagonal pattern. The needle is inserted in a horizontal stitch and the thread between the stitches is the diagonal. I found that with this stitch the quilt layers were very secure. Since this works the best it is the only way I baste now.
I just finished basting the one below. You can see I tape the backing down, then layer the 3 pieces and baste. For over 30 years I basted on my hands and knees on the floor. For the first 25 of those years I didn't tape the backing, and had to continually go around the quilt and pull on the edges of the backing to be sure it wasn't working its way into a wrinkle under the quilt.
Almost 14 years ago I purchased three 30" x 96" tables which I can push together for a 90" x 96" basting area or a 60" x 96" area, depending on the size of the quilt. Finally (in my mid-50's) I could stand up to baste. There is a lot of stretching to reach the middle of the 3 tables, but I need the exercise. Below is the third quilt to be on the basting tables since the first of January. It is a piece for an exhibit at the IL Artisans Gallery at Rend Lake for Feb. 8-Apr. 8 for heart disease awareness. I will show all of it after it has the binding on it. I have to ship it before Jan. 22 so I work on it a little every day.
I use drafting tape and I know a lot of people use painters tape. They are similar in their stickiness.
Here are 2 more fabrics that have been sliced. Aren't the squares above just yummy?
I really like the strip of this one.

10 comments:

dee said...

Hi Wanda, I gave you the "Make my day" award I got from Gerrie Congdon. Do with it what you will. You really inspire me.

Joyce said...

The best thing about my new quilting frame is not having to baste. My knees just won't take it any more, or my back. Love those two fabrics. Yummy.

Anonymous said...

Taping the backing down was the 'key' for a good basting job for me. I agree a tailoring baste stitch is always the best for many projects, but especially with quilting.

Those two fabrics are gorgeous thats for sure. As always when squares and strips are cut they look like they came from a completely different piece of fabric. That's the fun of designing your own fabric. And you are the design pro! J~MT

meggie said...

I will try that basting method. I can no longer get down on my knees- one needs replacing!
Keryn Emerson posted about how she does her quilts, & she just uses any table, & secures the layers at the edges of the table, & moves it once the area has been completed. I have found it a very useful method.

I love your luscious pictures!

Vicky aka Stichr said...

I have one table and try to use tape too. Usually it's a dog or cat holding things down....

Another vote here for both those fabrics...I have been eyeing those pansy's [pansies ?] since they first appeared. Your photo sure makes them look as bold and bright as they seem to be.

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

I love the colors in the piece you are making for the gallery show. They are, well,...exuberant! Looking forward to the photo of the finished quilt.

Dorothy said...

That green quilt made me weak in the knees. It's gorgeous! And the red pansies? Oh my! Do you think pansies really come in red? if they do, I neeeeeeeed them!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I can't wait to see more of the bright colored quilt. I absolutely love the colors.

Sarah said...

All very beautiful to look at! Thanks for the basting tip - I will give that a try!

katquilter said...

Have you seen Sharon Schamber's method of basting? She has a video in the free section on her website. She uses the tailoring pad stitch like you do, plus she has kind of a brilliant system for basting without getting on your knees. You might check it out!