Thursday, December 13, 2007

Layouts

I had some 4 patches left over from the quilt on my guest bed, so earlier this year I took a batch of floral prints strips and created some log cabin blocks. The fun of log cabins is the layout. There are so many layouts for half light/half dark blocks. These aren't the prettiest blocks, not what I would have made if I had specially cut certain fabrics for the project. These are reminiscent of pioneer blocks where you use what you have.
I have made many log cabin quilts with lots of different layouts and they each have their own graphic beauty.
Since I only have 12 blocks they may be used for table runners, or maybe a baby quilt, or...........

5 comments:

Joyce said...

Log cabins are definitely the most versatile of blocks. Yours are beautiful and I like all the layouts.

meggie said...

I like all those layouts too, & find the colours somehow soothing. I definitely prefer scrap to all other styles of quilt.

Anonymous said...

Three layouts ! Such fun you have with each and every one of your pieces. And the magic that happens when you make your final decision. All three are unique and each with a totally different artistic presentation. Always look forward to your final decision.

J~MT

Quiltdivajulie said...

Scrappy quilts are my favorites. Of the three layouts, I like the zig zag one best. I especially like the four patch centers!

Michael5000 said...

Terrific illustration of the log cabin's versatility. Makes me want to make another log cabin!