Monday, December 3, 2007

Design a block

One of the last programs and workshops I designed for guilds was how to make an original design quilt by designing a block first, choosing a colorway and piecing blocks and then trying it in several layouts. Somewhere in my archives I have photos of all of the layouts I tried with this block. I know this is the old fashioned way, not designing in an EQ program or something similar. However if I designed a quilt totally on the computer, I wouldn't need to make it because I have already seen it. For me, the magic is what happens while playing. I don't have a clue what it will look like or sometimes I don't even know what I am making for sure. Occasionally I need a no brainer, follow the directions quilt, but more often a quilt is born while playing. Here is a close up of the fabrics and the quilting.
The hand dyed fabric is from Melody Johnson and the stripe is a P&B fabric.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this,i like the simple lines.Very mod,Wig.

Anonymous said...

I like this one too, my first thought was, the slivers of vibrant pink triangles, to me resemble the magic background of a 'Disney's Fantasia' when Mickey Mouse was conducting the orchestra and the color and animation just exploded on the screen. (*._,*)
J~MT.

Joyce said...

I agree. I don't want to see the quilt before it's made. I have the most fun playing with the blocks.

meggie said...

How striking that quilt is!
I am often surprised at how different my quilts look when I photograph them.

Gina said...

What a fabulous looking quilt. The possibilities for this block could be fun.

love and hugs xx

Michael5000 said...

I was SO disappointed the one time I played with quilting software. I thought it was going to be great fun, but for me it felt like computer quilting design had the same relationship to quilting as teleportation would to the great American roadtrip.

Other people have a different experience with it, of course; I was just surprised because usually I like ANYTHING that involves hanging out with the computer....

TB said...

Very nice!