Wednesday, December 19, 2007

168 different dotted fabrics

In September 2006 I decided to remodel my 1953 kitchen and have the hardwood floors refinished. I knew I needed a project that was bright, cheery, and all laid out for me to work on in that time period. A quilt like this one was on the cover of "Follow the Dots to Dazzling Quilt" by Segma and Crow. I was pretty sure I had most of the dotted fabrics I would need to make it. To make what they called the Scrappy version, I would need 168 different dotted fabrics. How many of you are surprised when I say I had that many on hand in my fabric collection? I have shown you my batiks. I haven't shown you all of my kid prints, dotted fabrics, plaids, and a few more. That would be sensory overload don't you think? So this one is still a top; I haven't decided what the border should be.

While I was cutting my one strip off each of the fabrics I cut 6 kits in groups of 3 sizes of fabric which students could then cut their pieces out of. I sold all but one, and I can't find it this morning, but if I find it later I will list it on my blog-shop.

Click on the picture for a closer view of all of the dots.

15 comments:

Melody Johnson said...

too too too fabulous! Now if you found that extra kit, what would it take to add it to the top and finish it out? Not much I am thinking. Double the size too. Hmmmm....

Kristin L said...

Wow, that's a lot of dots! I'm not surprised that you had them in your stash though. I like it. :-)

mzjohansen said...

This HAS to be one of my all time favorites that you have posted! WOnderful !

Vicki W said...

Love this quilt! I also love dot fabrics but I certainly don't have 168 of them in my stash - well I don't think so. Wonder how it would look to do the border as if it were one large block with different sashing in each quadrant. Dots of course.

meggie said...

I was going to say go for stripes for the binding, just to be different!
I am not surprised to learn you had all the fabrics!
I love the little bulls eye in the centre of each large block!

Joyce said...

I love dots too and have a small stash of them. This piece is just fabulous.

Anonymous said...

I loved this quilt on the cover when the "Follow the Dots" book came out, and yours came out even better. You are really tempting me to make one of these now!

The Calico Cat said...

I heart dots... no idea how many I have, but I know it is not over 100... But then again, I have been suprised with how scrappy I can be with what I have on hand in the past...

Melody Johnson said...

I just blogged about your dots, and had to come back and see them again. I didn't realize at first look that you have a tricky little dot in the center. Not quick to piece that guy into place. You are so goooooood.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Wow!! I have that book and have come very close to making one or more of the quilts... but I know I don't have anywhere close to 168 different dotty fabrics. Hmmm, I do have an awfully large variety of different greens...

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

Such a happy quilt. Great one for the kids.

Shelina said...

I've seen that book, and am getting ready to make a quilt from it. I've been buying and collecting dot fabric for about 6 months, and think I might have enough now.

TB said...

What a fun quilt. Yes, I guess I am surprised that you had at least 168 fabrics with dots in your stash! I just can't imagine having that range of fabrics on hand. Do you buy fat quarters of many fabrics, or larger pieces? I often buy a fat quarter or half yard of something that I like, especially batiks, even if I have no idea how I'll use it.

newbee said...

I am surpised you can make scraps look so good.

Purple Pam said...

I am so glad to know I am not the only one with a fetish for dots. I have made a couple of dots quilts, and I am always looking for more. Great quilt!