Saturday, December 15, 2007

A long post with a tutorial

A family member asked if I could embroider a name on a Christmas stocking they found in their box of decoration stuff. It was to be for the (serious) boyfriend of one of the family members. I went to pick up the stocking, and lo and behold, here was this b**t ugly (in the family member's words) stocking that I had made in 1984 or 85. I just couldn't let this new member have anything so ugly and I also couldn't get that cuff open far enough to put it on my embroidery machine. So.....I made a new one. A little prettier I think.
I start out by crazy piecing a piece of base fabric with fusible fleece on it (cut roughly into the shape I will need).
Then I lay my pattern on it and draw around it.
I embroidered his name on the cuff.
I layer the backing face down, 2 layers of lining wrong sides together and the pieced top and cut them all at once. This way I can be sure that they are all exactly the same size.
Sew around the 2 lining pieces right sides together, leaving an opening to turn the stocking.
Sew the stocking front and back together, then clip all inside curves, and turn right side out.
Sew the back seam in the cuff and sew it onto the stocking.
Insert the stocking into the lining.

Insert a hanging loop between the layers.
Sew all around the top edge of the stocking and lining.
Turn right side out by pulling the stocking out of the opening in the lining.
Sew the opening shut.
Push the lining down into the stocking and give it a good steam press around the top edge to keep the lining rolled to the inside.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonderful directions. I could almost feel the machine under my fingers as you spoke.

Anonymous said...

Yep b**t ugly is a good word for it. I thought that fabric was great at the time.Your taste ( and mine). have improved. The new one is pretty.Wig.

meggie said...

That old stocking was rather er, ugly!
The new one is lovely! Great instructions!
I have been admiring your lovely fingers & beautiful nails too!

Joyce said...

THanks for the tutorial. Maybe next year.

Vicki W said...

That's a great tutorial! I like the new and improved stocking and I notice that we have the same sewing machine! I love my 7550 but I really lust for the new Performance 2058.

Linda said...

That b**t ugly stocking matches my Christmas tree skirt made in the same era!!! It's still under the tree and looks great when there are packages covering it!!!

Angie said...

Your tutorial is so easy to understand! Thanks!!! I really like it and have been wanting to make some of these!!