Saturday, April 13, 2024

Trimming and sewing..............


Yesterday afternoon I trimmed the next quilt to finish.









Here is a peek at the back.  I had quite a bit of the border fabric left to use for a backing but not quite enough.  I had 2 other prints that looked good with it.  My longarm quilter pieced this backing for me because I didn't have it ready for her when she dropped of my Charley quilt.






This close shot shows the center fabric better.

I haven't decided on binding yet.  There is enough of the border fabric to use but I also have enough of the sashing fabric to use for binding.  Both look good so I just have to make a decision.


I started sewing these blocks together around noon and finished while watching TV at night.  There was one more block to sew and I decided to check the 3 parts that were left over and see if there were any 2 pieces left to sew a 4th quarter of a block.









This is what I came up with.  That 4th quarter that isn't sewn yet is pretty boring.

Now I have to decide if a 16 block square quilt would be as useful as a 15 block rectangular one.  Size comparison is 40" x 40" or 30" x 50".


While I was trying to decide what to do I started 2 dishcloths.  The one on the left is a denim blue, not quite as dark as it appears here.





The last bud on my white cactus decided to bloom.  It was touch and go whether it was drying up or planning to bloom.  I expect this to be the very end of the cactus blooming season.

 

11 comments:

Chris said...

Hi Wanda, Hope all is well with you, I know you were anxious before the eclipse. I love the border fabric! Do you know what kind of fabric that is? Thank you!

Cherie Moore said...

You have a wonderful longarmer, but it’s a privilege to quilt your tops, gettying to see them up close & personal, I’m sure!

Anonymous said...

A square quilt works better than a rectangle for wrapping a baby.

Mary said...

The new blocks you are putting together are simply luscious.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the blocks all look so good I think. Nice to have help with the backing

Nann said...

The border fabric sets off the blocks nicely, and the pieced backing is great. I don't see any boring units in your new project!

Anonymous said...

It is a privilege!! 💜

Penny Gold said...

I love the fabric choices for the inner and outer borders of the big quilt--gorgeous!

JJM said...

Your border fabrics for this quilt are awesome . They add even more elegance to this quilt top. Look forward to seeing it completed. And then theres your Circles so happy and fun to see and nothing boring about the last two shown at all.

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

Wow! Are you ever on a roll with quilt after quilt and you are putting me to shame.

For my 2 cents, I think the border fabric wouldn't make such a good binding as you'd have body parts of the animals all over the place! That's something to consider.

Lovely bloom!

Hugs!

Julierose said...

Beautiful big Bear Paw blocks--so colorful;))) Lovely border, too...great work--The 1/4 circle blocks are coming together so well...nice work on these.

51, windy and cold here with that wind off the water gusting at us...
Got the lawn mower--and the little seminar on its use-- up to my daughter's this morning. I got some really cute pictures of her running it for the first time;)))

Will be watching Red Sox (they are really awful this year!!) at 4 pm and doing a bit of hand quilting...hugs, Julierose