Sunday, April 14, 2024

A finished top and garden walk.................


It made sense to go with 16 blocks instead of 15 to use up as many of the die cut pieces as possible.  It ended up at 39.5" square.  Square quilts are nice floor mats for little ones or this could be a wall hanging for someone who likes graphic designs on the wall.  Meanwhile the best part is that I emptied the box that held these pieces in an area that I am reorganizing.  


Last October I bought a sad looking Flare Hydrangea on sale for $8.50.  I planted it right away and hoped for the best.  It has new growth on it so I guess it had a good root system. The tag on it says it is a compact bush and the blooms will be white aging to bright pink. It also says to water it once a week and maybe more often in really hot weather. 




In the back garden the Brunnera is up and blooming.  The flowers are tiny, about like Forget-me-nots.  This is the largest plant; there are a few small plants too.




The Columbine in the back garden is getting big.  Behind it the Lily of the Valley is making its presence known.  It has totally invaded this area.





The earliest Peonies are getting tall.  I have about 20 Peony plants in total, most in the back garden.






This Hosta needs to be dug up.  It looks like the center might be dead.  I will probably get about 6 plants out of this.








Last week I showed this Hosta and it had just started growing.  It  is near the Sedum plants and my mailbox post in the front garden.  I'm not sure of the name of the variety but it is a compact plant that only gets about 10" tall,

 

10 comments:

Hannah said...

That little top would brighten any room as a wall hanging!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your plants are doing great and that is a pretty quilt top

Nann said...

There's such a growth spurt this week! (Note to self: stake the peonies now.)
The 16-block layout is just fine, and now you have an empty box.

Julierose said...

Your garden is really coming on so well, Wanda!!
I love your arcs quilt--I think a little one would love to see all those colors..nice job on that one--tricky sewing all those 1/4 circles!! It really looks lovely...
53 here and sunny, still with the winds though...yesterday felt more like November than April at my daughter's house!! I haven't put my Winter coat away yet....;000 hugs, Julierose

JJM said...

Oh Wanda ~ I so I agree your Quilt top will add Pizazz to any room for a wall hanging or extra fun for a toddler play mat.

And such fun to see so many of your plants in your gardens that is really taking off for the season. I have lots of violets, purples and pinks in our lawn that are blooming. I have no idea where the pink ones came from but love them all even though they are in the lawn and will disappear the first cutting of the grass..

JJM

Warm Quilts said...

I love your colorful quilt! Congratulations on completing such a fun project.
Your spring garden is coming along nicely, too.

Barbara Anne said...

Your newest quilt is just wonderful, colorful, and perfect for any decor! Well done, and all of the bits are used up. Win, win!

The early plants are really growing. Any sign of the cicadas?

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Loved how it turned out…your longarmer

Patty said...

That quilt top is striking and the blocks look so much better with the square arrangement. It looks like a piece of modern art! Your garden is coming along with lots of new growth.

Vicki W said...

Oh, I really like that quilt in a 4 x 4 arrangement.