Thursday, April 11, 2024

First quilt top for April 2024...........


The quilt top was pressed and posed for its portrait.  It is 40" x 49".  The blocks are 4.5" finished and there are 99 of them so there are 198 different fabrics in this quilt top.  There are high contrast blocks and low contrast blocks in the mix.  I think it has softer contrast in person. 

I sewed 100 combinations of 2 fabrics and two 2" strips of batik was enough for 4 blocks.  This is the other 301 blocks.

This is the only block I didn't use.  It is in the early layouts that I showed on some of the days but I removed it because it doesn't have enough contrast and was just a dark blob in with the other blocks. 

I found some die cut pieces in the basement in my organizing.  I paid someone to cut them for me before I had a die cutter so they precede June 2011 (I checked the postmark on the box, March 2009).  I have made one wallhanging from some of pieces and sold it in one of my pop-up shops.  Last night I decided to just go ahead and sew all of the rest of the pieces.  They may become table runners rather than a wallhanging or small quilt.  I have most of them sewn so today I'll finish that and press them.  Then it will be design wall time.

I trimmed all of the dead flower stalks from my 6 Sedum plants in the 2 front gardens.  There are 4 more plants in the back garden but we are expecting some rain today so they will wait a couple days to be cleaned up. 

9 comments:

Nann said...

198 different fabrics? Charmed, I'm sure! (LOL) Funny how those older pieces/units keep turning up, like rocks in a field in the springtime. Rain here today.

Julierose said...

What a lovely flimsy finish for April, Wanda;)))Nice to use stashed fabrics...
Rain here this morning and fog--46 degrees and with a really chilly wind...
hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

Beautiful quilt top -- and I totally agree about the removed block! Have fun with the die cut orphans.

Mary said...

What a pretty top! It's always fun to see what you do with your stash "discoveries"!

JJM said...

Great post today Wanda ~ 9 Patch sensation is a STUNNING Beauty ! And your Blocks and pieces look fun to work with.

I figured you spent sometime outside yesterday when I saw your steps for the day. 🤗

JJM

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I didn't realize you were working with such small blocks - I love the color arraingement

Barbara Anne said...

Rainbow 9 Patch is stunningly beautiful and I, too, didn't realize the blocks are 4.5". Your newly filled box of more 9 patches is another treasure!

I look forward to seeing how you put the die-cut orphan blocks together.

We also have rain here today.

Hugs!

Patty said...

The top turned out beautiful! We received.9” of rain so far today and could get another inch in the next 24 hours. We could use a week of dry weather; everything is saturated!

Vicki W said...

What a pretty quilt. Very sophisticated.