Thursday, April 18, 2024

Layouts...............


There are more little 1.5" batik squares to make more 9 patches but I decided to play a little with layouts.  Edge to edge isn't very spectacular.  Since the blocks will finish at 3", this would only be 12" x 18", about the size of a placemat.









Spacing the blocks out with plain blocks between would stretch this to 18" x 24".












With the blocks on point they measure about 4.25" across so this would be about 21.5" square.  After sewing 400 of the 4.5" 9 patches I'm not very anxious to sew a lot of these little blocks. I may sew a few more of them and then save them for a possible border of a future quilt.  They can rest in the batik orphan block box.


I have a stack of 32 mostly brown toned 16 patches so I'm looking for a fabric for some alternating blocks.  I had this print laying out to try.






This photo shows the fabric better.  I only have a yard of it and that might yield 20 squares.  What I need is 33 squares.  I can make more 16 patch blocks.





This will make the quilt very dark which isn't all bad but I'll keep looking through my stash.

8 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

Luv the little 9 patches, I'm trying to decide how to place mine

Nann said...

There are so many ways to use those mini-9's. For years I participated in a quarterly swap of them and I'm still using them up. A suggestion is to use the 9p as the center of a 9-patch block.

Julierose said...

A border of 9-patches is always a good option;))) or just a really pretty tabletopper at the smaller size? Have fun playing....;000

Those dark squares look like our skies today--it is 45 degrees with gusting winds 15-20 mph and it feels very chilly again...
I think we will wake up one morning and it will just be really hot and humid and Summery!! That's how it's been going lately here. hugs, Julierose

JJM said...

Love the ‘on point’ layout they sparkle like little gems. Fun to see all your layouts today.

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

So many possibilities! Enjoy pondering which way to go. :)

Hugs!

Patty said...

Those 9 patch blocks are very pretty but tiny!

Danice G said...

I also love the on-point layout. Nine patches are so versatile. Beautiful fabrics too.

Mystic Quilter said...

Looks like you're on a roll with the squares at the moment Wanda