Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"Needs to be Finished" box, part 7

This is the other flannel quilt top waiting to be quilted. It is one of my favorites and I will keep it for myself. It is 72" x 94" so it is big enough for a twin bed but it hardly matches my pinky-purple bedroom, or the bright sunshine yellow guest bedroom.

If any of you have done a Buggy Barn pattern quilt you know how this is made. For those of you who haven't, the procedure is to draw the pattern on freezer paper, layer the required number of fabrics, iron on the pattern and cut through the paper pattern and fabric, and then shuffle the fabrics so each pile has a different fabric on top. You sew the pieces back together and of course they don't match after seam allowance is used, so trimming as you go as well as trimming the whole block is necessary. I taught this class more than once so I used a couple different patterns from this company.
And now for the close up pictures of fabrics......



I think this quilt is in the "definitely finish this year" pile.

We had a 50 degree temperature drop yesterday and snow flurries last night after a 53 degree high in the morning. I will not complain about snow however. If you want to see snow, check out Idaho Beauty's blog. Now that is snow. Read the first 3 posts.

Also if you have been reading my blog from the beginning you know that my self portrait quilt was made in a Jane Sassaman workshop. She designs some fabulous fabrics but because a lot of them are really big prints, we sometimes don't know how to use them. She has just started a blog to show us what to do with them. Check it out.

7 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh, I hope you do finish this one soon so you can cuddle under it. Fabulous work (as always)!!

We, too, had a 50+ degree temp drop yesterday with high winds and heavy rains... better rain than snow!

The Calico Cat said...

Love it, but I do not like the process... I am too far into the cats to quilt, but far enough to know that I don't want to continue... UGH!

imquilternity said...

I especially like this heart quilt because it's a bit more sophisticated than some, both in it's style and it's colors. Well done, as always. Your blog is such a treat!

Anonymous said...

Happiness is HEARTS... I can see why it is one of your favorites. Another one to add to my favorite list. Love the vivid rich colors of the flannel. Plus the procedure sounds fun, but with procision. A "Blue Ribbon" result in my opinion.

J~MT

Joyce said...

That one reminds me of one of Karla Alexander's Stack a New Deck quilts. I really like the way yours turned out.

Elaine Adair said...

Looks like fun to me! Clever and attractive. I always love the cutting apart part.

Rebel said...

Oh, I really like that quilt! I'm fond of hearts as a motif, but valnetines-type fabric tends to be a bit over the top.