Wednesday, November 1, 2023

October 2023 monthly recap................


 In October I had 2 finishes, both small....that's what happens some months.  On the left is Australian fabric zig zag which ended up at 34.5" x 45.5".  The colorwash is all batiks and is 31.5" square.


There were 4 tops finished and these 2 are the largest.  The African fabric and mottled batiks 16 patch with added batik blocks finished at 64" x 80".  I started this top in September and finished it in October.  On the right, the Bear Paw top is 69" x 84".  The blocks were made in 2021 and they waited patiently for me to look for sashing and border fabric for 2 years.


The African fabric quilt top on the left was made in stages.  I sewed the crazy pieced blocks in 2018, chose the elephant panel and sewed the center section together in 2020.  The rest was all sewn in October and it finished at 52" x 69".  The colorwash on the right is mostly Kaffe collective fabrics with other print fabrics added as needed to get a good value flow.  It is 18.5" square.

I was thinking about how fast October flew by and I think that is because I was busy the whole month, between outdoor work cleaning up gardens and making all of these tops and finished quilts.  This month I hope to do more playing and experimenting with fabric combinations but still hope to get my 2 finishes for the month.


Now I need to get my stats for this little quilt on my blog so I can refer back later if necessary.

I used 3" finished triangles of Australian fabrics in this quilt.  There are 2 light triangles that are not Australian but have the same flavor as those prints.

It finished at 34.5" x 45.5".  It has Hobbs 80/20 batting, medium tan So Fine top thread, black Bottom Line bobbin thread.


The backing is also an Australian fabric with a black background.













The binding fabric has a lot of purple and orange in it.

I have some weather and nature photos to post tomorrow.  It was a blustery Halloween in my town.

9 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I really love all these quilts and the colors you used but the quilt with the elephants in the middle really is the most unique I think and so original - great job!

JJM said...

It was a grand October for all you accomplished. Spectacular creations finished. Always a treat to see your monthly production.
I agree with Karen ~ your Elephants and all your ‘crazy pieced blocks’ framing them are awesome. And make it a stand out !

JJM

Julierose said...

Beautiful finishes for your October;))) I especially love that Zig-Zag--the lighter colors just melt into one another so nicely contrasted with the darker ones...we had two little goblins (really tiny tykes with their Mom and Grandmother) so cute--and that was it!! What WILL we DO with all that leftover bunch of Snickers and Mounds hahaha
Blustery and cold today --only 45 at 11 a.m....that Northern wind doth blow for sure hugs--Julierose

Nann said...

A glorious month for your gallery, Wanda. It was a chilly Halloween and the snow stuck. But 60 temps coming this weekend.

Barbara Anne said...

Applause, applause!! What glorious quilts you have created and they're each one of a kind on the plant. Isn't that satisfying?

Hugs!

Kristin said...

I love all your quilts but I especially love the elephant panel quilt. It is so unique and interesting!

Mystic Quilter said...

Amazing that you have so many finishes for the last month, all beauties and I love the one using 3" finished triangles.

Patty said...

You accomplished a lot in October! The month did go by fast .

Vicki W said...

Good work getting that zig zag done just under the wire!