Sunday, November 5, 2023

Even more reds..............


I looked through my Kaffe fabrics again and pulled 6 more reds and then went through the Philip Jacobs fabrics and found 6 more there.  I cut 6.5" squares from these and the ones I showed yesterday.


Now there is one piece each of 77 Kaffe collective fabrics.  I have to decide if I'm happy with this layout and if I am, I will sew the top half of the quilt together.  It is 75% red (some soft, some bold) and 25% orange/pink/deep rose color but I think most people will call it a red quilt.  I took out the one orange flat looking fabric that was in the previous photo and am considering taking out the plainer looking orange square in this photo.  Once I sew this I can move it higher up on the wall and then design the bottom half.  There was only one square of a few of the fabrics so there will be 2 of some of the fabrics in the bottom half.


My maple with gold leaves is the last tree to turn color and usually the last to lose its leaves.   I didn't get a photo at its prime about 5 days ago and it is already shedding leaves.









This is how many have already fallen.  I will mow over these to give nutrition to the grass in the back yard.  Most of the rest might fall in the garden area if we don't have a strong west wind in the next few days.




 

7 comments:

Julierose said...

My DH has been mowing our leaves [as they are falling faster and faster now]
every couple days so that his mower can mulch them up to feed the lawn....Mostly, our Oak trees are still primarily greenish--we live in an area called "Oakridge Forest"--soo you can imagine there will be still a lot more to go...
I love your red/rosey-pinks squares set up so far. So pretty...I sewed my Natale together in the past few days and am working on borders now....

46 here this morning--our temps seem to have recovered from the frosty ones we had for a couple days...
Hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the reds are beautiful - what size did you say you are cutting the squares? We have had some trees in the area turn beautiful colors but there is still a lot to go - it is always strange as some are so much later than others - bare trees here and there and some still not turned.

Quiltdivajulie said...

BEAUTIFUL reds! Our leaves are falling but many of them will not make it to the ground until late December/early January. The largest number will be down before mid-December though. Our goal is to fill at least 2-3 of the large garbage carts on wheels provided by the city (we call them BUGG carts - Big Ugly Green Garbage carts) each week either with leaves or end of the season plant clean up debris. Other leaves get used for mulching the perennials.

JJM said...

Unbelievable amount of ‘exuberant reds’ in this piece ~ Stunningly beautiful to say the least .

Good to see your Maple tree is still hanging on to most of its leaves yet. Our ‘scrub’ maples are still bushy with leaves and seeds. But our true maple is bare. It’s odd to see trees with most of their leaves still hanging on after our freak snow storm that hit us and other trees without a leaf on them. Mother Nature has given us very unusual seasons this past year, here in the mountains.

JJM

JJM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara Anne said...

Do far, this quilt could be named for the singing group, The Red Hot Chili Peppers!

Our leaves are falling rapidly, too.

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

What a fun quilt top! Those fabrics are fabulous! That’s a lot of leaves!