Thursday, November 9, 2023

More auditioning............



I got all of the light fabrics pressed and cut the 1.5" strips and subcut them into 6.5" pieces yesterday.  While I was cutting I cut a 2.5" strip and a 4" strip from each, preparing for other quilts.



From a distance it probably won't be obvious that the inserted borders are made of many different fabrics.  It will be a focal point close up though.



I'm happy with it so now I can sew the top half of the quilt together and then move it up higher on the design wall.  Then I will design the bottom half.

7 comments:

Karen said...

I like how this is developing. It's amazing what those narrow strips can do.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hadn't thought to sew the top rows together and then arrange in such a way that I could place it on the design wall and see more of the bottom half of the quilt. I might give that a try

Linda Swanekamp said...

I just love the skinny inset. I did something like that once with a donated quilt from Julie. I love the varied fabrics. There is so much wonderful interest in this quilt it is hard to stop looking at it.

Julierose said...

This will be so pretty!! Good idea to cut strips off from each one for the future...I need to get my die cutter out (I certainly won't be rotary cutting anytime soon!!) and cut some strips--I used to have a whole box of them, but over the years I've really used them about all up.
37 here this morning; rainy and gray...I broke out my puffy coat when DH drove
me to go shopping...he did all the heavy lifting for me--what a doll;)))
Hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

Absolutely LOVE this!!! The scrappy cohesiveness of so many reds offset with the variety of lights . . .

Barbara Anne said...

How wonderful the top of this quilt looks and what a good idea it was to insert those various light colors strips!! You're a wonder, my friend!

Hugs!

Mystic Quilter said...

I try to remember to cut extra strips of 2.5" when I have my GO out on the table, never thought of cutting other sizes, actually couldn't cut wider because I don't have other width dues. They're not sold here anymore unfortunatley, I have to use the ruler and rotary cutter.