Thursday, November 30, 2023

Starting something new...............


I need a few baby quilts and I want them made of flannel.  I had this box of strips in the basement.  I figured it was all 2" strips but after piecing a few blocks I realized there were 2 widths of strips in there.



Since the blocks weren't all the same size I had to trim all of them to the size of the smallest block.  Now there are 3 widths of strips since some edge strips are now narrower.  When sewn this should be about 34" square.  I think a 3" border will work and I could trim it down a little before binding if I decide it is too wide.

Most of the champagne color cactus blooms are fading but I found one good one.






The pale pink plant by the west window has started blooming.  The piece from this plant in the east window is just about done.







The second piece I saved off a dying white plant is blooming now.  It has a little pink tint near the base.  There is a third piece that hasn't bloomed yet.

I took another photo of the Trip Around the World quilt on the bed and removed the old photo and inserted the new one in yesterday's post.

12 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

Luv it! It looks so warm & cozy,I have a titie full of homespun fabrics from my doll.mskingbdays that I want to turn into quilts ,at least one๐Ÿ˜„

Helenchaffin said...

๐Ÿ™†the word tote changed & it wouldn't let me edit ๐Ÿ˜„

Julierose said...

Oh lucky you starting a "new" quilt!!:))) That is always so exciting isn't it? I am not letting myself start anything new for a bit; but I am going to work on hexies, which feel new, as it's been a long while...(we have our ways hahaha);)))

I love that flannel idea; and the half log cabin really shows them off so well. This will be such a cuddly one;))) Beautiful rich colors...

34 this morning--a bit warmer; weather people tell us a warming trend is on the way for this weekend...

Your champagne cactus is SO pretty--I saw one at grocery but they were asking $14.99 and I thought that was pricey; hmmm but I may give in and treat myself...

Enjoy your end of month -- can you believe November is going, going gone today already?? Months are flying by....
Hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the plants are looking so good - I have never seen some of the colors of blossoms that you have - in the stores here it is always the dark pink or red that I see

Mary said...

I think the variations in strip width will make for an interesting variation to you log cabin quilts.

Nann said...

The half logs look great -- cozy colors!

JJM said...

Great array of plaids and stripes and pattern too… and a good time of the year to be working with flannel.

Lovely cactus blossoms… for you and to show.

JJM

Penny Gold said...

Wow, the half-log cabin turned in alternating directions turns into a braid! I am going to give this a try. I think the non-matching of the different widths is fine--adds to the interest. But I wonder what I'd think if this was done in solids, which I enjoy working with. Some sampling in my future. . .

Barbara Anne said...

Your newly started flannel quilt is so wonderfully colorful and, of course, cozy due to the soft flannel. You certainly rose to the challenge of the two widths of strips!

What beauties your plants are, too.

Hugs!

Cathy said...

Cute idea for a baby quilt. And I'm surprised you don't have any red cactus blooms. Or maybe I missed them??

Patty said...

What a great way to use up the flannel strips. That will make a cute baby quilt. The blossoms are so pretty!

Sally Trude said...

This blog post should have a warning label that it contains contagious ideas. If I wake up tomorrow and hear my plaids still yelling at me, I will know who I caught it from.