Monday, November 6, 2023

Trying a new idea..............


I came up with an idea so that this quilt isn't just squares (although I like that idea too).  I pulled down the box full of 1.5" Kaffe strips to hang some on the layout to simulate my idea.  They won't be strips of all one color, they would be 1.5" x 6.5" strips of a variety of light neutrals pieced along with the rows of squares when webbing the top.  The decision I needed to make was whether this inserted border was 1 square in or 2 squares in.  I did remove the orange square I mentioned yesterday and added another of the Woodear print which I love.  I'll look at this for a day or two to make a decision.


I have several of my cacti with buds all in the same area.  I have 10 of 16 plants with buds now, 6 of them in this photo.  I know at least 2 are the champagne color and one I think is light pink.  I'm beginning to wonder if the one I call champagne color is actually the yellow variety that I read about.  One last year had flowers that were more toward yellow and had a little peach color on the bloom too. 


I knew that one should be deep rose or red and it looks like it is this one.  I have a white one with a few buds and another pale pink by the other picture window has one bud.


 

10 comments:

Julierose said...

Nice idea for a change from just squares for your reds piece;)))
Your cacti look all ready to burst into bloom.

40 degrees here this morning--I was up so early; with this time change i went to bed early too...I hate this body-clock re-setting we have to endure...
I think a nap will be in order later on today...hugs, Julierose

Mary said...

I really like the border insert. We recently had to install solar screens on our south windows to reduce the glare on the television. I'm anxious to see what that does to my cacti.

Nann said...

The varied slivers of light will highlight the rich reds. You are the Christmas cactus queen!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

so many blooms! I have one tiny cactus that I had rooted for several years and now finally looks established but so far no buds.
I like the addition of the sashing to break up the red blocks.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh, just look at all those beautiful buds!!!

helenreimers said...

I think the insert in a great idea. Those reds are gorgeous. Such a nice variety of color buds on the cactus.

JJM said...

Your inserts makes for an awesome change, they truly add to the beauty of this piece. I just love it when you make a surprising change to a piece that I didn’t think it could any better. I so enjoy watching your creativity.

And your indoor garden of cactus looks as though they’re all racing to the finish line to bloom. Looking forward to that photo. My one and only is finishing up its blossoms and it there were many more this time around to enjoy.

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

Those lightly colored strips make a remarkable change in the look of the block layout. Enjoy experimenting with their placement and even (maybe) try some on the diagonal?

Lovely Christmas cacti and they certainly like the light from that window.

Hugs!

Linda Swanekamp said...

I received 2 plants from a man at my rehab unit who is moving to Wisconsin. They are two of my favorites and just loaded gloriously. I have some of my own, but they are outshown by these new gifts.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I like your idea of adding thin neutral strips among the glorious reds! And the Christmas cacti have me drooling. Most of mine are gone. The summer was too hot. And dry.